How to make chocolate out of nothing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/17/how-to-make-chocolate-out-of-n.html

3 Likes

Now this is a useful survival technic.

But somehow I think something is missing.

So long as there is chocolate, we will survive.

eat-chocolate-forever

8 Likes

6 Likes

Déjà vu:

1 Like

Damnit, @pesco, if enough people do this the mass of the Earth will increase to the point where it collapses into a black hole!

3 Likes

Yep! That’s why I wrote: “I revisited…”

4 Likes

10 Likes

It works with greenbacks too!

Of course, if you take the axiom of choice, you can have as much chocolate as you want.

1 Like

I’ve got your “chocolate out of nothing” right here:

Young people may not believe this, but back in the 1970s, carob was not merely eaten, but actually celebrated as a *healthy chocolate substitute".

5 Likes

I remember. While I am okay with Carob it is not a substitute.

9 Likes

I can still taste it.

I always wondered if the problem was carob, or that the recipes that used it were inclinded to be “healthy” so taste was second or third.

The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook was once dismissed as being too much white flour and white sugar, but for a long time vegetarian cookbooks were the basics, taste not being considered relevant. “It’s healthy for you, that’s all that matter”.

2 Likes

Ugh. My mom was one of the people who bought into this. I can tell you that it’s absolutely nothing like chocolate. (kind of like Hershey’s tastes nothing like quality chocolate…)

4 Likes

This triggered the same for me. I had blocked it until now. A dusty, dry, stale vaguely chocolate-like taste. From 1973.

4 Likes

Indeed. I would eat it to survive during the Exodus, or if I had to wrestle with Satan in the desert for forty days and forty nights. But probably not otherwise.

4 Likes

Oh I actually like it somewhat. I just know that it isn’t chocolate equivalent for taste.

5 Likes

Yes. That’s the ticket: “dusty, dry, stale” – all that is anti-chocolate.

Such a depressing memory. 1973 indeed: direct hit, Cap’n!

You know, it might be better if carob tasted worse – at least it would be really bad, and not a vague, “dusty, dry, stale” disappointment.

4 Likes

@Robn put it well: " A dusty, dry, stale vaguely chocolate-like taste. From 1973."

1 Like

Sorry.

I was thinking about it last summer when it seemed like I wasn’t supposed to have chocolate (and it was never clear if it was fact or my sister just thought so) and I couldn’t t even remember the name at the time.

I had assumed d it was still out there as a thing. I just avoided it after a while.