How to Mastodon

Chose the form!

4 Likes
3 Likes

It seems off to have to sign-up to a particular package for this. It should be a distributed group of some kind.

2 Likes

Hopefully more news organizations do the same, even if it’s only a X-echo.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Alternatives to Mastodon, readers, tools, stuff:

2 Likes

2 Likes

A recent post by Fedi.Tips had an interesting concept:

• On Mastodon, and others, everything is available as an RSS feed.
  • You can follow an RSS feed.

So, if your instance doesn’t have much traffic on a tag that you want to follow, you can reach over, and follow the tag on another instance that does.

5 Likes

Poot! Apparently stock Mastodon doesn’t support following RSS feeds. Odd, because it seems like something that should be automatic with ActivityPub. Missing code, or a design decision? :man_shrugging:

That’s a shame. It’s useful for selectively following people, but only on tagged subjects.

I am disappointed, because I had a project in mind where would be a key feature.

eta:

eta:

4 Likes

A nine month long thread suddenly appeared on my instance, after someone I follow reshared one post from an hour ago. It’s not a bad thing, just unexpected at first. It reminds me of the old pre-Internet days of Usenet, when a weeks-old reply would suddenly turn up from a site several dodgy hops off the backbone.

On my end:
DelayedInThePost

3 Likes
3 Likes

And so it begins…

0c972d053e9a8713

Another one rides the ActivityPub:

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out whether to abandon my current Mastodon account (which isn’t seeing all that much use, but still) and set up a new one or learn how to migrate the current one because I unfortunately used my deadname in my username when I set the account up pre-transition.

I found some account migration instructions here, and I’m a little confused by this (in the Profile Move section):

Moving your account is the same as redirecting your account, but it will also irreversibly force everyone to unfollow your current account and follow your new account, if their software supports the Move activity.

This sounds like it means that if I do this process, anyone currently following me will automatically end up following my new account (if their software supports it), which sounds … improbable? I keep thinking I’m misunderstanding that. Has anyone here done this before?

3 Likes

Meh. The details of how it works is confusing, but using it isn’t that bad.

1 Like

Meta outage.

6 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes