How to open a vodka bottle anti-theft lock

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/04/how-to-open-a-vodka-bottle-ant.html

6 Likes

Funny: basically how all of our child-proofing works (the Ratel kit defeated all of the mechanical child locks before he could walk). He totally understands the concept of the magnet locks now, so we just have to be careful to keep any powerful magnets away from him.

12 Likes

Life skills!

6 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-9epLR3hKw

13 Likes

That’s a useful advice regardless of… anything really.

9 Likes

When I was a kid ‘child proof’ meant ‘thing my mother needed me to open for her.’

31 Likes

Why? Seriously. Why?

2 Likes

Funny that they invent a complex but easily defeated device which probably costs several hundred times what the RFID tag they are protecting costs, instead of using a stronger adhesive on the RFID tag which, I suppose, might possibly mess up their pretty bottle if it gets removed.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never seen this. If I did, that bottle would stay on the shelf if they couldn’t remove it in the store. Years ago, they went overboard on security devices for clothing. A friend of mine was in the process of buying a suit, but the sales clerk had trouble removing the anti-theft device. It broke, and the fabric got soaked with purple dye. The dye was permanent, and there was no other suit in that size left in inventory. So, they lost the sale and the merchandise.

8 Likes

It’s the hole I worry about.

Important skills for the impending apocalypse.

3 Likes

My Parka has purple dye stains.

Realistically, all those devices are doing is keeping honest people honest. My guess is that the bottle is sold in a state with extremely onerous and heavy-handed liquor laws and it’s required to put those devices on the merchandise.

5 Likes

Yep. It’s security theatre for booze. Any place that I’ve worked that had faithful employees dedicated to protecting the business were generous. Generous with pay, employee discounts and benefits when applicable. Anyplace I worked that did shit like this got ripped off right and left and mostly by the employees.

11 Likes

So much this. When you see a place do this, turn and walk out. Also as a customer, places like this can at best offer mediocre service.

3 Likes

It’s the first thing you learn.

“Wheres the damn unlocky thingy”

“Joe worked last night”

“Goddamn it, he always loses it!”

“Don’t worry, all you need is a magnet.”

“Is that right…” :thinking:

6 Likes

At least the old school cases at walmart to take out the CDs and Cassettes did require a custom tool. Though you could cut them out with good scissors if you wanted.

3 Likes

This guy is supposed to be a lawyer? Isn’t he bothered by the fact that every video he does is basically making him an accessory before the fact? I mean, he is basically telling people how to be more efficient thieves.

1 Like

In Los Angeles, I have seen this type of device used in places like Rite Aid. (You can buy alcohol pretty much everywhere here)

2 Likes

That’s all that any lock on anything does.

2 Likes