How to pronounce Worcestershire Sauce

Now hear this: “wooster sawss”.

Woos like woof. Sawss like the sor in sorceror.

I have learnt that any other ridiculous pronunciation that heeds the spelling of the word is to be derided and spat at.

Now let’s move on to “Beaulieu”.

Edit: bollocks, sor in American has a loud rolling r. Don’t do that. Saw. Sawss.

2 Likes

I don’t know that I would put it anywhere near steak but it is a must with bacon.

Fair enough. My grandfather (who I never really thought of as having an English accent) definitely made a ‘r’-ish sound in there.

This is how we’ve always pronounced it.

Signed Englishman from England

Don’t try to think about it too hard. It’s now:

1 Like

Shaky shaky, wakey wakey.

Easy solution to this: we just call this stuff “What’s-This-Here Sauce” and don’t stress too much about it.

3 Likes

com-optimize%20(35)
com-optimize%20(36)
com-optimize%20(37)
com-optimize%20(38)

4 Likes

I support your opinion of maple syrup.

I say Wis-tah-sheer, just like many of my Bostonian compatriots do. :wink:

2 Likes

LoneImpartialIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted

4 Likes

Sausage sandwiches is what HP is for. Worcester sauce is horrible except on cheese on toast.

1 Like

Branston’s brown sauce is also good.

1 Like

Lea & Perrins is great.

And of course

4 Likes

True, true. If anyone ever tries putting it in their pasta sauce, you should probably yell at them at the very least, tho.

com-optimize

6 Likes

I have a theory that anyone feigning enthusiasm when tucking in to roast eyeballs/sheep’s brains/tongue is doing it primarily to yank the chain of passing gringo/Anglo tourists. Bet you won’t eat this! subtext/you lily-livered too-rich imperialist sissy /subtext
Also: It’s wooster sauce, FFS. How hard is that?

1 Like

Wercherchercher sauce is regularly used in hispanic cuisine as a way to give food some extra umami :slight_smile: i’d say between it and soy sauce i’d prefer Worcester

1 Like

Well, there’s this…
daddies

1 Like