How to read 80 books a year

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/how-to-read-80-books-a-year.html

2 Likes

Huh, it sounds like an extremely useful system for reading the kinds of books I don’t give a damn about reading.

12 Likes

Typface looks like 8 o , not 80

1 Like

Is 80 a lot? I ready about 340 books a year, typically one a day except the few days I pass out from exhaustion or chemicals. I assume thats about 24 days a year.

8 Likes

Get an advanced degree in the humanities?

14 Likes

5072_2137_large

9 Likes
4 Likes

How to make reading a chore.

11 Likes

Read a book a day, and then go back to watching TV on March 22nd.

I like the note-taking thing: definitely an aspiration idea for me, but then reading any books is an aspirational idea for me these days. If I have the time to sit down and read more than a couple of pages, I use it to sleep.

8 Likes

Yeah, actually I was expecting the argument to be “don’t read hundreds of genre fiction books a year; read just 80 books but make them be really important ones”.

4 Likes

Yep! That right there, exactly!

My system is to not have cable. Once you’ve checked the weather forecast and watched NOVA, it’s all ‘library time’.

4 Likes

Best way to slow me down is give me a book I am hating. I was asking friends advice on how to walk away from a book I don’t want to read the other day.

Libby is my favorite app. I ready 32 books from my library last year and I am going to blow past that this year. I do not have cable, satellite or OTA tv where I live – it is all streaming. Mostly it is Rachel Maddow.

4 Likes

The process is something like this approach to cleaning:

2 Likes

That was my grandfather’s euphemism for sitting on the commode. (And, he was right.)

2 Likes

Did you post that because of that cool little bookshelf in the back ground? WANT!

[grabs saw, runs outside to scrap lumber pile] “WANT! WANT! WANT! I’ll put one on every little slice of wall that isn’t a doorway or a window!”

3 Likes

I read WAY more than 80 books a year. Most of them many many times. Possibly related: I have a two year old.

21 Likes

Oh god, I didn’t even think about that. What does “Little Blue Truck” twelve times consecutively count as?

• One book
  • Twelve books
  • Zero “real” books
  • Do you own a gun? Because you shouldn’t own a gun.

0 voters

3 Likes

More importantly does it still count if you have it memorized? Horn went beep…

2 Likes

Step one: Don’t have kids.

Seriously, I can’t finish a paragraph until 9pm. Fortunately, because I have older kids I know that it gets better after they’re 5 or so, but until then forget it.

4 Likes

…engine purred…

It’s certainly handy when he wakes up at 2 AM and I don’t want to turn on the reading light.

2 Likes