How to safely topple a statue using science

Nice semantic game you’re playing there. I’ve edited my original post to clarify for you and others what type of “monument” was being discussed.

1 Like

Q: How much science does it take to topple a racist monument?
A: The right amount hopefully

Oh! That reminds me, Mercury will react with aluminum and cause it to crumble…

I don’t think it does anything to bronze, however :confused:

I wonder if there is a chemical that will make bronze crumble…probably is…

Liquid nitrogen will, if you have enough of it- but I’d rather use the plasma cutter. I like the idea of being able to decapitate a statue and keep it like a trophy.

All hypotheticaly speaking, of course.

I knew someone would eventually post that.

I love Dr. Stone- science is the ultimate tool.

Remember what happened: remember the crimes, remember the victims, but don’t honour the racist fucks with statues. That is actually pretty simple to understand, right?

8 Likes

I like that idea of drilling a hole in the top and filling it with corrosives. Watch the thing turn six shades of puce and then liquefy, like the Nazis in Indiana Jones when they opened the Ark.

1 Like

Yes, but we should not throw the rug away, there must be a remembrance that there were people that wanted to hide and forget the dirt. To make them remember, to shame them for their deeds.

No one complained when all the statues and monuments to Jimmy Savile were taken down.

3 Likes

Is not about hiding the truth, it is about exposing it more, making it more visible. Showing that there were and are people willing to hide and forget and shaming them for it. Similar to the idea of Bansky.

High molarity chlorine solutions (bleach is pricy but works, pool chlorine either in solution or as powder plus water) will do horrible things to iron and fairly quickly. Hard to detect until too late and can be added incrementally. You can get a very good progressive corrosion going with aluminum shavings (any machine shop) and salt water. Add shavings when opportunity presents. Warning: this tends to produce hydrogen gas so at some point your hole might have torch potential. At least a bit of a vent is a good idea or the whole thing could go boom with H2-O2 reaction. This is dangerous, so take precautions.

Endangering innocent bystanders is totally not cool.

2 Likes

Actually not. Liquid nitrogen doesn’t make most copper alloys including bronzes and brasses brittle. A big factor in cryogenic embrottlement is whether the metal is body centered cubic like iron or face centered cubic like copper. So save the cryogens for the racist iron monuments and thank your chemistry teacher.

4 Likes

There is a reasonable discussion about what to do with these monuments after taking then down from their places of honor. But most importantly they need to come down. That is way more important than what we do with them after.

3 Likes

Yes,it is understandable. But the idea is to make people remember that they wanted to honor a bastard and not forget it. Not erase it, educate.
Like the Memento Park in Hungary or the Siegestor in Munique.

It is quite a good idea, take them off their plinth, lay or let they stand besides it and rededicate appropriately, to show their new status as fallen idol.

1 Like

The character assassination is artful indeed.

Add “only got a job because of her father (who runs something OPULENT, , and only on a sport she learned in England (and did something unspeakable while doing it in Oxford!)”. Of course, in her current job, “she introduced a RADICAL AGENDA, including something sexual! And she likes Corgis (how dare she!)”, and so on.

Just for the record, I did not give that “outlet” any more clicks but looked at a cached version. Fuck the Daily Mail.

Also just FTR, the stuff she referred to as ‘carcinogenic’, which can be used to stop ‘bronze disease’? You probably put it in your dishwasher lately. (It is used to stop silver from corroding there.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.