Banksy's brilliant idea to make "everyone happy" after activists pulled down Bristol slave trader statue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/banksys-brilliant-idea-to-ma.html

21 Likes

I’d like that exactly once. I don’t want to see it replicated with Confederates in the US, I just want to see those down, already.

29 Likes

Agreed. Get rid of them completely. Out of sight, out of mind. Forever.

Banksy is a creative opportunist yet sometimes even he misses the mark.

9 Likes

“We drag him out the water, put him back on the plinth, tie cable round his neck and commission some life size bronze statues of protestors in the act of pulling him down,” …and then add more bronze statues of police beating on those statues of protestors, and more protestors to protest the militarized police, some statues of media coverage, and then the worried political class (perhaps rendered in other than bronze), and some tiny virus statues… and so on ad infinitum

15 Likes

well, not out of mind, ever, but out of memorial.

9 Likes

Recursive monuments.

16 Likes

Or put them in a sort of park, where you can pay money to smash and spray paint them.

A: “Hey, you know what would be fun to do this afternoon? Let’s go to the confederate monument graveyard and smash that bust of the KKK grand wizard!”

B: “oooh, OK, I want to hit the Columbus section, too!”

A: “Great, I’ll pick up some spray paint on the way, the ones they sell at the entrance are kinda pricey. See you soon!”

19 Likes

I’d like to see all the Confederate statues torn down and forged into a giant new throne for the Lincoln Memorial so Abe can sit atop the symbols of his fallen enemies, Westeros-style.

45 Likes

I would love that all so, so much.

4 Likes

And how well did that work out?

1 Like

Hey, the Seven Kingdoms lasted longer than the thirteen colonies.

11 Likes

Something like Szoborpark, in Budapest, might be a good idea? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Park

3 Likes

I kinda like that idea. Replacing or removing it, and it would be quickly forgotten that it was every there or that there was ever a time this was “cool”.

Showing the act of it’s destruction reminds people that we have to tear down out dated symbols and ideals.

11 Likes

Seems like the perfect rejoinder to those who say this “erase history.” As someone pointed out, the act of pulling it down is history so why not commemorate that act?

I’m actually with leaving him where he is, in the water, where so many victims of the Middle Passage ended up. But I think putting his option on the table would be good for the city council to take up.

5 Likes

They can photograph the tear downs all they want. Make a coffee table book. But in the end an empty green or koi pond is preferable.

4 Likes

I’d prefer a native species over koi, perhaps Bristol deserves a nice lamprey pond?

12 Likes

Making a walkway Richard Serra-style could be good. Stomp all over it, hard to destroy…
Sure, put it on the way to the Lincoln Memorial too, that would be a great spot.

4 Likes

A daily confrontation with destroying evil might not be comfortable, but I think forgetting the bad parts of the past makes us more susceptible to accept them later in time. YMMV

2 Likes

Archaeologists years from now…

“Fascinating - an entire town of just bronze statues!”

10 Likes

There has got to be a better word for this. Redistribution of pillaged wealth, both material and human, is not something I would consider “philanthropy”.

7 Likes