Removed Statues

Let’s make a little list.

8 Likes

Segregationist George Preston Marshall’s monument is removed from RFK Stadium grounds

12 Likes
11 Likes

Ulysses S. Grant isn’t one of the first people I’d think of when listing off Americans who were on the wrong side of history regarding slavery, but he certainly was not without his flaws. Still kind of funny his statue is one of the closest things San Francisco has to a Confederate monument.

12 Likes

How about removed statutes? Toppling discriminatory laws should have more effect IMHO.

2 Likes

Why on Earth did they put up a statue of him in first place? They must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel or needed someone so bleh that no one would object to that widow’s son.

4 Likes

An intown suburb of ATL:

6 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

Another video shows people knock down the statue of Junípero Serra, a Catholic priest responsible for missions across California. His controversy stems from using a lot of Native American Indian labor to build his missions.

“using” :thinking:

4 Likes
6 Likes

I’m sure there are more that escape my memory right now.

ETA:

Oh Leopold, you betrayed our souls
Sold the heart of your country

5 Likes

The Masons.

1 Like

Are you sure you’re not confusing the Daughters of the American Revolution with the Daughters of the Confederacy?

They are most certainly the primary group that promoted the Lost Cause mythology, not the Daughters of the American Revolution.

6 Likes

Right; Tammy Duckworth is no friend of the Confederacy but is a member of DAR, which prompted this ignorant, racist comment from one of her political rivals:

7 Likes

Ugh… I remember that jack ass. But Duckworth won!

7 Likes

Not removed yet, but could be soon?

3 Likes

Yeah, I mixed them up. Apologies.

2 Likes