Watch the country's largest Confederate statue come down

Originally published at: Watch the country's largest Confederate statue come down | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Hey hey, ho ho, yo dumbass statue has got to go.

13 Likes

Pity we can’t tear down the country’s largest Confederate monument, at least not without causing even more damage to the mountain face it desecrated.

28 Likes

I do feel sorry for the horse, though. She never had any choice in life and now is being rejected along with her owner.

12 Likes

The new board has been making moves to change the park and downplay the confederate aspects, like taking down the confederate flags from the walking trails and the like. They also are changing the logo…

Changes in the right direction.

People might not be aware, but the community around the park is mostly Black now.

29 Likes

Stuart, Jackson, Davis, Maury are now all gone from the avenue leaving only Arthur Ashe.

Whatever future changes occur to the avenue let’s hope it’s all about winners from now on.

19 Likes

You know, I really don’t think anyone is too concerned if you happen to break the statue, engineers! Just sayin’…

Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

22 Likes

But…that would imply that white Confederacy apologists are no longer the sole arbiters of what counts as “Southern Culture!” I do declare I may need a fainting couch!

24 Likes

Season 2 Couch GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

24 Likes

I think I’ve said it before but now that the pedestal is empty (hallelujah) I’ll reiterate that I’d like to see Rumors of War replace it.

See here for more info: Sculpture Created by Kehinde Wiley for VMFA - VMFA

Lastly, the action in the video starts at about 42:30.

7 Likes

Man, if I was anywhere near that thing I’d be very inclined to recruit one of my climbing buddies and a bag of chisels and hammers and end the question.

8 Likes

As a distant cousin to Robert E. Lee, let me be the first to say… good riddance!

19 Likes

He may be a winner, but why isn’t he helping those children sinking into quicksand?

8 Likes

Cool! I had no idea he was sculpting/casting.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Mindysan has the skinny on what’s going on there. Me, I personally dream of lining up a couple dozen old northern cannons and blasting it off the face of the mountain. But that would likely get someone hurt, so it’s a dumb idea. Just a fantasy.

7 Likes
13 Likes

Good to know! Thanks.

4 Likes

South Fails to Rise Again!

6 Likes

Leave the pedestal, and replace General Lee with another famous Virginian, DAVE fuckin’ GROHL!

5 Likes