Banksy's brilliant idea to make "everyone happy" after activists pulled down Bristol slave trader statue

An art conservator reassures us that paint can easily be removed from bronze and goes on to tell us what actually does do irreperable damage to a bronze statue. Y’know, so we don’t accidentally ruin somebody’s war traitor statue. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1270376631274790915.html

9 Likes

How much should be charged to shoot a howitzer at stone mountain?

7 Likes

Facinating

7 Likes

a hint for those not wanting to follow the link re bronze statues…

6 Likes

He’s likely being humorous in a “i’m joking but wouldn’t that be great?” kind of way. I don’t see it as a serious proposal, though seeing such an installation for that particular statue i would be ok with it. As others have mentioned, it’s not needed to do this or entertain such a thing with every single contentious statue. Just get rid of them.

7 Likes

For the making of pies?
Lamprey Pie

1 Like

i think it’s a great idea. every town should get one. the rest can be melted down or whatever.

1 Like

Just for the record: all over Belgium, statues and memorials for Leopold II are removed. According to what I read today, the Belgians are happy with it.

11 Likes

We weren’t stumped when we found the terracotta army or Greek statues. I think we’ll be fine.

5 Likes

There has always been a link between plunder and philanthropy and disconnect in how we see the people themselves. Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos will be known for their wealth and generosity when their business practices are long forgotten. It’s almost as if we tolerate billionaires so we can venerate their philanthropy.

6 Likes

Nah Banksy.

The statement’s already been made. You don’t need to get involved in this.

1 Like

We could add that message they add to nuclear waste sites:

"This place is not a place of honor… no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger"

Of course, we could add the current GOP along with all those conferate statues.

4 Likes

I like it. It’s honestly kind of an uplifting story.

Once there was a nation that celebrated men who are slave traders. Many years later, that same nation became more reflective and aware of the injustices it had committed, and pulled that statue down in a fit of anger over global injustice. Then that society commemorated the moment by using the statue to recreate the scene.

It would make it a neat piece of history and tell a wider, more compelling story. It would be an interesting monument and an interesting tale. It would celebrate the changing of values. It completely transforms that statue. That statue would no longer be about some asshole slave trader, it would be about a nation changing and struggling to become better. I think it is a great idea. Hopefully the aspirations end up matching the actions in the days to come so it is uplifting in the future, not ironic.

5 Likes

I think I heard yesterday that the statue is being put in a museum, with the ropes used to pull it down and any damage un-repaired, as an exhibit about the protests. Which seems a reasonable compromise.

3 Likes

Art has a multitude of functions, but I don’t think making everyone happy is one of them.

6 Likes

The art historian that the council got in to check it over, after they pulled it out of the harbour, said that they were planning to leave the paint, ropes etc. and display it as is.

He’s a Bristolian (even if he doesn’t live here anymore), he should get as much of a say as the rest of us here.

5 Likes

True, but hopefully the story doesn’t continue that rich people put the statue back up because what rich people really approve of is anything that is good for business regardless of how it affects people.

Yeah well, I also don’t think interpreting most of Banksy’s work without noting the tongue-in-cheek part makes much sense either.

5 Likes

Nice idea, but it’s in the centre of a very busy road system, with lots of bars, eateries and other places nearby open late at night, (under normal circumstances), so anything like that would just end up full of trash and people pissing in it! The Colston Hall venue is just yards away, currently undergoing a complete refurbishment and will be renamed when it reopens later in the year; it was built 150 years ago, and has no connection with any of Colston’s money, so no historical issues with that change. The statue is going into the M-Shed museum by the docks just along the road, along with all of the placards that were left, and with a full explanation of the historical context, which is probably the best option, although I’d love to see Banksy’s idea carried out!

2 Likes

Understood but, I was generally speaking of all these monuments.

We have many more to go…

1 Like