Banksy's brilliant idea to make "everyone happy" after activists pulled down Bristol slave trader statue

He’s got as much right as anyone, he’s a Bristolian, and was part of the local graffiti and dance/rave scene along with a bunch of others including members of Massive Attack.

2 Likes

Just for the record: gone.

Thanks, @Katryn. I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

Cleveland showed another way of addressing statues. Paint and ropes are a safer alternative. https://www.clevelandart.org/research/conservation/rodins-thinker

2 Likes

I guess the point was that the point was made with the initial action, and further modification wasn’t necessary.

1 Like

Maybe all those damages statues could be collected, cut up, and soldered together into one nightmarish, multiheaded monstrosity, kinda like those in Cyriak Harris videos.

2 Likes

But Banksy’s idea isn’t making the same point. The first action was a righteous deletion of a memorial to a slave trader. Banksy’s subsequent suggestion is for a monument memorializing that action, and others like it.

Anyway, I rather doubt Banksy sees it as a suggestion that has any real hope of enactment. The drawing itself will likely have to serve as a new memorial.

2 Likes

Ah, I guess I’m just too jaded. I saw it as Banksy needing to put his artistic “statement” on what was originally a very real organic community statement.

Also, GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!

3 Likes

at the bottom of the sea!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.