How to tell the difference between accents

Yeah, for television these days, there’s a very high chance of Canadians. Plus, in recent years there have been quite a few English, New Zealand and Australian actors working in the US, putting on their versions of US accents to complicate things - usually so well you can’t detect their native accent, but they’re not speaking with a specific American accent either.

5 Likes

“You can literally draw a line straight across England…” (draws squiggly line from North Sea to St. George’s Channel.)

10 Likes

So, like, you ask for “soda” and then wait for them to ask you what kind of pop you want? Seems circuitous.

1 Like

That was a classic figurative literal.

1 Like

tl;dr you have to actually actively listen to clips of known accents. It’s not hard at all then, but unless you’re thrust into it hardly anyone bothers.

1 Like

It seems to me the further from the centre of the world you go (England, of course) the worse the vowel abuse gets.

It took me many seconds to figure out that a New Zealand woman was talking about her bed when she kept saying beed. They’re the furthest away and the worst offenders. Case closed.

3 Likes

How to tell a Nebraskan accent from an Alaskan accent:

4 Likes

Deservedly so! :stuck_out_tongue:

(I kid, I kid. One of the weirdest things I remember when moving from California to Washington was how the grocery store had a “pop” aisle.)

1 Like

Everyone has an accent, and everyone’s “guilty” of sounding different to other people who live on different continents.

2 Likes

Could be worse:

1 Like

Singer has a number of videos on YouTube. They’re all fun and fascinating. I highly recommend them.

3 Likes

Hey, when I’ve visited back east – B’klyn and thereabouts – a couple of relatives and friends would always comment on my acquired California accent (?), and Californian friends here have noted numerous times what’s left of my B’klyn accent. I’d audio-tape myself for a thorough self-assessment, but… the FEAR.

BTW: Spoke with my treasured niece yesterday. Her (nowadays… to my ears) almost cartoony, strong B’klyn accent is a joy.

1 Like

Yes, but can he place any man within six miles? Place him within two miles in London? Sometimes within two streets?

6 Likes

We used to always say “tonic” when I was a kid but I think that’s def shifted hereabouts to “soda.”

2 Likes

I only know two: Atlantic and everywhere else. Three, if you include Quebec. What am I missing?

I mostly stripped myself of my southern accent in my youth. Once I started acting my accent started really drifting, and I was allegedly really hard to place.

1 Like

guys? A map this complicated has got to mean something, right?

source material here, if you dare.
https://aschmann.net/AmEng/

5 Likes

I’m told that I sound generically Northern and I don’t sound Cumbrian any more.

The weird thing is that I still think in Cumbrian and there is some kind of subconscious translation going on.

6 Likes

I’m from New Zealand, and lived in Australia for four years. When I was a toddler and just starting to talk a lot though, we lived in the middle of nowhere near Bulls and one of two adults around was my dad, who was from Doncaster. I picked up a hint of his accent and to this day a lot of people think I’m English.

3 Likes

The uk is not much better and a lot smaller…

https://preview.redd.it/8iro1s1kh5l21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f0a43d79fef189a194227bf00f062ace8a2d1fe0