How to turn your fears and anxieties into positivity and productivity with cognitive reframing

[Read the post]

Bah, reframing. Stupid things that work. Come on with that.

2 Likes

ā€œOne reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.ā€
ā€• Dale Carnegie

1 Like

Dale Carnegie did not know anything about birds, did he?

ETA: An I donā€™t know anything about horses.

9 Likes

How to turn your fears and anxieties into positivity and productivity with cognitive reframing

But you have to listen to his podcast first. Am I the only human on the planet who thinks podcasts are kind of tedious?

2 minutes of intro + music. 4 minutes of shouts out to our sponsors. 5 minutes about stuff that could only matter to us if weā€™d listened to the last 10 years of the podcast (ā€œwinner of the cookie challengeā€¦!ā€). Then we get to 15 minutes of some feature material which isnā€™t the main topic that we clicked to. By that time Iā€™m out of there.

I canā€™t listen to podcasts at work because the human drone voice is distracting. And I have no time to plop down and listen in my off hours ā€“ cause all these great TV shows etc. I would imagine podcasts could brighten a long commute which I donā€™t have.

Sorry for my rant.

20 Likes

The fears and anxieties that are of something specific and identifiable are the well behaved members of the class.

The fun kind is the fear that does not deign to make an argument, or give a reason, or be ā€˜aboutā€™ something; but simply is with the same intense self-evidence that a burn brings to bear.

3 Likes

Ten times agreed! Iā€™d love to get this, just as text instead! Podcasts, no thanks.

4 Likes

Thanks, but Iā€™ve already got the books and Jeeeeeebus Crystal-meth do they take up a lot of room.

Cognitive reframing is amazing. Pay enough attention to American political discourse, and you can turn your positivity and productivity into fears and anxiety!

9 Likes

Hullo Alfy, she said, this is Miss Toklas. How do you do Miss Toklas, he said very solemnly. This was Alfy Maurer an old habitue of the house. He had been there before there were these pictures, when there were only japanese prints, and he was among those who used to light matches to light up a little piece of the Cezanne portrait. Of course you can tell it is a finished picture, he used to explain to the other american painters who came and looked dubiously, you can tell because it has a frame, now whoever heard of anybody framing a canvas if the picture isnā€™t finished.

(source)

Sorry you didnā€™t get what you paid forā€¦

Hmmmā€¦Iā€™m not a podcast person, but the concept reminds me of what I got from cognitive-behavioral therapy; namely, turning oneā€™s mind in a different direction/find a different point of view of whatever situation thatā€™s problematic.

And thereā€™s this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_reframing

3 Likes

FYI the headline on the main page reads ā€˜refreamingā€™ instead of reframing.

1 Like

Are you implying that since all this content is free (generated by all these poor suffering yet truly dedicated podcasters no less!) that by golly nobody oughta complain about the format? Screw that, this is the internet, pal.

I will accept that indeed I am in no way obliged to listen to a podcast, and so I donā€™t.

3 Likes

In addition, some of us have auditory processing issues so listening to spoken word on an MP3 is a lesson in futility. Closed captioning and available transcripts serve a purpose for many people with a variety of different physical or cognitive issues.

5 Likes

Would you say that you are disappointed in Boing Boing for promoting it?

1 Like

Itā€™s like the 10th time Iā€™ve looked at the headline and thought ā€œHuhā€¦ that sounds interesting!ā€ and nope itā€™s a podcast. Maybe I just need to learn how to enjoy podcasts.

5 Likes

Also, calling it ā€œfreeā€ ignores opportunity cost. If you offer me a free sandwich and then I wait around for the sandwich to be made and served, and then it turns out to be inedible, I wouldnā€™t consider that a gift.

2 Likes

Reframing is NLP and not psychology.

Recently psychiatry has tried to adopt NLP as theirs, by adding cognitive to the name of a number of NLP processes.

The guy that founded the SOAR program is an NLP practitioner. I recognized the language of the work as NLP as Iā€™m a Certified NLP Practitioner as well.

Well, NLP was developed in the 1970s and cognitive therapy - the application of cognitive reframing to psychology - was developed in the 1960s, so not so much. But entirely beside that, techniques to identify and disrupt problematic thoughts date back to 600 BC, so I donā€™t think a competition for first among recent forms is necessary.

7 Likes