How to turn your fears and anxieties into positivity and productivity with cognitive reframing

Ah, yes, like if you surprise a surgeon don’t be surprised if you wind up with one less kidney.

Wait, no! Health professions are obliged to primum non nocere.

7 Likes

This. Every martial arts person I have ever known was amazing at NOT fighting and de-escalating situations.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I see we have turned the corner in the thread. We have one on the ropes, and we’re like ants tag-teaming and we’re gonna pick that fucker apart until he goes silent, gets flagged, or capitulates. It’s a live one, folks, he’s not gonna give in. I think he’s gonna fight to the death. Watch out, he’s anchoring some shit in people’s minds. Wait, what’s this, some verbal ju jutsu from the crowd? He’s pissed! He’s coming out swinging! Watch out, he’s got a knife! Wait it’s a gun! Oh shit it’s now a crazy gun thread folks. And a couple of sexist remarks have started to fly back and forth. It’s guns and women for 20 do I hear 20, I have 20 do I hear guns and sex for 40? Ibiddyibbidee .45 do I have a .45 do I have guns and corporate fascism for 50? 50, I’m looking for 50 iminyininy 50 do I hear 60?

&c.

4 Likes

Did you know Hitler used NLP?

9 Likes

We have a winner! Godwin for 100!!! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaand that’s numberwang!

15 Likes

The question.

3 Likes

Well, yeah – but you’re speaking of health professions. They heave professed that they help health.

As opposed to, uh… bragging ?

2 Likes

Actually that’s some pretty quality trolling there, if you ask me. The corny grandpa rhetorical clichés are fab (“If you surprise a black belt don’t be surprised if you find yourself on your ass”) and it’s genuinely not clear if it’s a persona or not.

Banned, yes.

13 Likes

Speaking of mindfulness, as surprising as it may be to some here, most of my Buddhist practice is mindfulness these days (instead of Zen). I am a student of Shinzen Young’s, who teaches mindfulness, and am actually very interested in the secular approaches people have to it, though I am a Buddhist. I’m using mindfulness to work on some of my own reactivity to things and impatience.

I just spent 7 hours today as a day long retreat in Berkeley taught by a friend of mine, Michael Taft. Michael runs the weekly sitting group of secular mindfulness folks I sit with and is a senior teacher of Shinzen’s. He also just published his new book on secular approaches to mindfulness meditation:

5 Likes

I know. Jesus Christ!

3 Likes

Welcome!

Okay, seriously, though, implying that people aren’t allowed to make negative comments on free content is really irritating, like people who insist that you aren’t allowed to criticize a painting unless you can do a better one. I mean, yeah, it’s shitty when forum critics get as angry as if they’d actually been ripped off, but JoeyBladb was just expressing mild frustration.

1 Like

I liked the bit where he declared that he’d just knocked Funruly on their ass with BLACK BELT VERBAL JUDO.

6 Likes

How would you differentiate mindfulness from zazen practice?

1 Like

Oh thank christ. He’d been… fairly unpleasant ever since he joined/started commenting a lot. (Never flagged him though, so not sure if he was walking a fine line or if I just started pretty much ignoring much of what he contributed.)

ETA: But according to his profile he’s only suspended and only until Nov 2 this year.

3 Likes

Stand Your Ground NLP ninja? That’s not the kind of anecdote I’d prefer to dine out on.

4 Likes

Precisely what I was thinking. Zen, the word itself, means meditation.

1 Like

Remember the most wonderful, incredible meal that you’ve had? Remember how that food tasted going down your throat, the way your mind lit up and your whole body experienced bliss?

That’s what you will experience every time you take me out and pick up the check.

14 Likes

Today that meal was lunch. Bacon sandwich with branston pickle.

3 Likes

Remember the most absurd forum commenter you ever encountered. That is what you will experience every time you read a comment by… oh, wait.

13 Likes