How vacation photos have changed over the last 130 years

I would have loved to have seen that – it’s not really a planetarium, I don’t think – but the giant celestial globe! Man, what a sight!

I do appreciate this cursory overview, but I would like to see something a little more indepth, with a commentary, to perhaps shed some further light on the subject.

As for the early travel photograph, I think the limitations of the viewfinder had a lot to do with the early composition choices - and with the cheaper end of the camera spectrum, the difficulties framing and focusing your images persisted for many many decades, perhaps right up to autofocus and beyond.

In the 1990s, I was really interested in designing a wideangle portable camera that was much more intuitive, fit in the palm of your hand, and could be used at a much closer range, without a viewfinder at all. (I really liked the Konica WaiWai, especially the one with a mirror on the front of the camera, which could be used to frame your image). I wanted to advocate for more environmental ‘selfies’, but even when using the smaller APS format, I couldn’t quite get the pocket sized camera I was after. I didn’t anticipate the cameraphone’s rapid advancement, far outpacing the film camera in less than a decade.

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/09/this-is-what-the-history-of-camera-sales-looks-like-with-smartphones-included/

1 Like

i don’t mean to make light of it, or to offend. but it definitely seems like a bit of an obsessive type of behavior to need to lay out things so orderly like this. it’s just amusing to me that it’s suddenly a thing… i don’t recall ever hearing of it or seeing it before just a few years ago.

1 Like

What perversion is this? A timeline that moves from right to left? HERESY!

(I used to own an actual camera that I would carry around and take pictures of things, but then I realised I never looked at them, and nobody else wanted to see them either, so I stopped. Has anyone ever wanted to see pictures of someone else’s holiday?)

3 Likes

Rarely, which is why printing a photo book of your vacation is a great idea. It forces you to choose the best photographs because you can’t print a huge book without paying a lot of money. And it allows people to put it down when they’re done, unlike the unbearable torture of a slideshow, which I hope is permanently a thing of the past that was inflicted on captive audiences.

1 Like

An absolute boon for writers to get local knowledge for setting stories in places writers are too poor to go to though, I imagine.

Definitely. And it’s more than just “too poor.” It can help with the lack of a time machine. I used a lot of mapping resources and all the old photos available online of the city where my first novel took place to blend fictional locations with historical ones.

1 Like

Yeah, not feeling like this was very representative of much of anything meaningful as presented. Decades of people on the beach! Then hashtag copycat photos! On the beach!

I had to run the video at .25x speed so I could, you know, actually look at the damn pictures.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.