How Warner Bros. used The Hobbit to strongarm New Zealand's acting union

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/23/how-warner-bros-used-the-hobb.html

3 Likes

tenor

4 Likes

Not that I needed another reason to never watch the Hobbit movies again, but… I’ll add it to the list.

4 Likes

Well, at least they did it for an important piece of art…

I never heard, did the Hobbit make money?

2 Likes

It was a Hollywood film, so probably not

6 Likes

These videos are much more rewarding to watch than the hobbit movies were, I want to insert them somehow into the box sets as an extras disk.

2 Likes

“We lose money on every transaction, but we make it up in volume.”

2 Likes

The original single had a positive commercial performance, peaking within the top-ten in many countries. It currently stands as the best-selling 12" single of all time.[3][4] In the United Kingdom alone, it has sold 1.16 million copies, though this figure also includes sales of all formats of the subsequent 1988 and 1995 re-releases. Sales of the original 1983 12" release account for the bulk of the total, standing at over 700,000 copies.[5]

The single’s original sleeve, created by Factory designer Peter Saville and Brett Wickens, was die-cut with a silver inner sleeve.[26] It cost so much to produce that Factory Records actually lost money on each copy sold. Matthew Robertson’s Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album[27] notes that “[d]ue to the use of die-cutting and specified colours, the production cost of this sleeve was so high that the single sold at a loss." Tony Wilson noted that it lost 5p per sleeve “due to our strange accounting system”; Saville noted that nobody expected “Blue Monday” to be a commercially successful record at all, so nobody expected the cost to be an issue.”[28]

2 Likes

Lindsay Ellis is one of my favorite film analysis people on YouTube (the other is Mikey Neuman).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.