HP printer USB port covered with warning sticker in hopes you won't use it

Ah, right. I guess I was tunnel-visioned by my almost printing nothing but text.

Ah, okay, thanks for explaining that. My inkjet Epson prints photos so poorly that if I ever want that, I email the images to a local pharmacy. They have better paper for that too. Again, that was my own tunnel-vision problem, since I don’t even think of that as “printing,” but of course it is.

DERP!

Animated GIF

12 Likes

I used to have to regularly work with a ridiculously expensive A0 colour printer, shared with a dozen other people, but my default is still old-fashioned ink presses.

(You can kick them if they fuck up :wink:)

9 Likes

It’s not a good reason; but “there’s a nest of SaaSholes involved” is a depressingly common reason.

6 Likes

If you kick something like a Heidelberger Tiegel you’ll end up in casualty.

2 Likes

That’s very true, but you often only get into trouble if you break equipment, not yourself.

5 Likes

We moved recently but were 1 block from the library before. I could take the littles and set them up in the kids section while I did whatever printing I needed. It’s a very small library, so I couldn’t help but keep an ear on them; I treat libraries with the reverence most reserve for church.

Due to the aforementioned move, I had to recently get a printer for the home and based on recommendations here got a monochrome Brother. I was going to buy a spare cartridge out of the gate to avoid the frustration of running out, but when it arrived I realized that it ships with the highest-capacity cartridge available! I was shocked. The last printer I got was free via my company buying an HP laptop that was bundled with a free printer had a cartridge that lasted, like 20 pages. I didn’t even bother replacing it and gave the turd away.

Institutional sales for them are massive; schools, large businesses, government offices, etc. It’s how I got that shitty printer.

4 Likes

Ah, guess I missed that last part. In that case an online service would indeed be the obvious choice. Or possibly one of those ink-free photo printers if all you want is postcard sized prints. Inkjets are incredibly poorly suited to infrequent use - unless you really enjoy running repeated cleaning and calibration cycles, replacing dried up ink, and so on.

That’s an explanation, not a reason in my intended sense of the word. It is indeed the reason why things are they way they are, but it is still not a reason for them to be like that.

Oh, I think you mean a good reason?

Our Brother laser printer is old enough that it doesn’t do networking.

Fortunately, there are these:

Works great, and doesn’t go through anyone’s cloud.

6 Likes

“networked printing” and “directly hooking the printer up to the network” are different things.

We have USB printing, with an old computer set up as a print server.

ETA:
See also

ETA^2: For @joed
Coca Cola Water GIF

3 Likes

My $80 Brother Laser printer turned 20 years old last month, and last week it perfectly printed my new car insurance card. It’s only on its third toner cartridge. I hope it lives forever.

4 Likes

yeah, sporadic printing and ink jets don’t go well together. I think a cheap b&w laser printer (Brother) fulfills most people’s needs and on those rare occasions when you really need color, visit a Staples.

1 Like

FFS! I’m into retro computing as much as any other geek but I never expected that to include printers! Bad HP bad!

Screw Photoshop and everything else Adobe makes. It’s another subscription scam from top to bottom.

4 Likes

That doesn’t disprove what I said. Don’t complain to me, I don’t work for them.

Unless that server is also doing something else useful, you’re then using - depending on the computer and its age and configuration - something like 20-100W of power 24/7 just to keep your printer available. (20W would be an extremely efficient SFF PC of some sort, 100W would be something like an old Core 2 desktop) (you could also get that down to a few watts using something like a raspberry pi). Unless you’re running purely off renewable and can use the heat I’d call that a pretty bad solution.

Also that solution is dependent on being able to place the printer within ~5m of where that computer sits, which won’t be practical for everyone - nor will setting up a solution like that be feasible for most people. Of course, most routers support usb printer sharing, but that again requires the printer to be within a 5m USB cable run from the router, which often won’t be feasible. Having a printer with ethernet is by far the best solution, but even wifi is fine.

Nah, just a reason that actually logically applies to the item in question without first applying a thick layer of corporate greed.

… Brother has always had an interesting no-bullshit just-get-it-done philosophy

2 Likes

I’ve had great experiences with Brother laser printers too. The one I shared with my ex (both academics working from home during the pandemic, so lots of printing) was reasonably cheap, worked flawlessly, printed double sided b/w pages quickly and had a rock solid connection both over wifi and ethernet (the version with ethernet was something like $20 more than the wifi version), and made zero complaints about third party toner cartridges (which were also monitored just fine in their bare-bones but functional software). Would definitely go that route again.

1 Like

Sorry, not complaining to you, just adding to the list of ‘pay to play forever’ companies.

3 Likes