HP wants you to pay up to $36 a month to rent a printer you never own

Even if you own one of those HPs you have an alternative: Buy cartridges. If an “instant-ink” printer detects retail cartridges it does not require an internet connection.

That being said, you are probably better off with something other than HP. They aggressively DRM their cartridges, so 3rd-party ones are either unavailable or unreliable.

I had an HP laser printer for probably 15 years but began having problems with it a year or so back. I recycled it and bought a Brother that has no DRM and prints either single or double sided.
I also have an Epson Ecotank printer/scanner that works pretty well but is a little delicate with the paper feed. My beef with Epson is they keep trying to update the software to a completely different appearing GUI; I have to be quick to click NO when the update pops up.

4 Likes

“Subject to the terms of this Agreement, You hereby grant to HP a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free right to use, copy, store, transmit, modify, create derivative works of and display Your non-personal data for its business purposes.”

So HP gets a copyright license to anything I print on their printer? Nope!

“they are a dying people. We should let them pass.”

4 Likes

I wonder if when they’ll start routing copies of your print files over the mandated-always-on internet connection to feed into LLM models.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, Canon just did a major repair and provided all parts and 2 service technicians for my pro printer that is at least 3 years out of warranty. HP can kiss all of my ass.

3 Likes

Yes, I have one that I can’t use because it never works–despite several calls to customer support.

1 Like

I’m with you there.

1 Like

Here’s an idea HP can use for free: find a way to make ink on printed documents fade out unless you continue to pay maintenance fees to keep it visible.

Who am I kidding—they’re probably already working on it.

5 Likes

Their entry-level rack-mounted servers are decent value for the price. Hardly a home user product though.

I’ve stumbled along with other printers, and I’ve enjoyed Brother. So easy, both technically and commercially.

1 Like

I returned my last HP printer when it simultaneously would not and could not connect to my wifi, yet would not work without connecting to wifi. Their tech support was dismissive.

Never, ever again. Not ever. They are dead to me.

1 Like

Agreed about FedEx Office. My printer quit working years ago and it was then that I realized I so very infrequently print anything anymore. FedEx’s website makes it easy to drag & drop documents to be printed, in whatever configuration one needs, to be picked up at leisure.

Everyone’s MMV, of course; my experience with their services has been positive so far.

I’m currently typing this on a 2-year-old HP laptop and I’ve had no problems with it. But it was built to order, so methinks it was assembled a bit more carefully than an off the shelf model?

1 Like

Ah but isn’t that HPE (HP Enterprise) stuff?
Not exactly the same company (as Keysight is for still decent test instruments).
I myself have got a Gen8 server and it’s been chugging along smoothly for years now.

My work issued HP laptops are meh at best.

2 Likes

Couldn’t we carve their bones into little flutes for children?

2 Likes

You just reprint the documents every couple years? Months?
That way it’s not JUST subscription ink fee, but your buy NEW ink, AND wear the printer. Which because the printer is a consumable, you have to buy a new one of THOSE too.

1 Like

Team Epson here.

It’s ink jet cuz I like the color option for my Word and Excel docs.

1 Like

It is. In my head, they were the same company. TIL.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.