Huge selection of roleplaying miniatures available for free download, including Falkor and a bear with sharks for hands

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/huge-selection-of-roleplaying.html

2 Likes

Most of those won’t print on an FDM (desktop) printer, so you’re talking at least dozens of dollars to get one printed by Shapeways. But otherwise, good.

3 Likes

I didn’t know I needed more life goals, but now I have more life goals.

6 Likes

I love tentacle house. I wish I had the artistic skill to make myself a new avatar with tentacle house on my head instead of old squiddy (who is an octopus).

1 Like

Here is a memento of a no-longer-online Twine game by Merritt Kopas where Vin Diesel soothingly talks you through your first encounter with an Owlbear:

It was a charming Twine game; I am sad that it went away.

Update: BB post, May 2015:

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but I can’t stand by while fake news is being spread: that’s not a bear with sharks for hands, those are conjoined sharks with a bear for a tail.

8 Likes

Indeed. Which raises another question:

Is the Lernaean Hydra a single multi-headed serpent, or multiple individual serpents conjoined?

Wikipedia is no help on this detail.

Update: just free-wheeling an idea here, thinking out loud … what if the multi-headed hydra is related to Medusa’s hair … I mean, the correspondence could be an irrelevant similitude of no evolutionary significance, who knows? But I think it warrants investigation, else we’ll never know.

6 Likes

I could print all of those on FDM…although the support removal would take a ton of time.

Proof: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjN1Lnjt

2 Likes

Yet another reason to finally get a 3D printer… I’ve been considering it.

1 Like

I dig…

(circa 1990)

3 Likes

Owlbear? Missed opportunity to call it a Bowl…

3 Likes

Brawl? Grizzowl? HoneyHooter?

3 Likes

I mean, I’m impressed you didn’t snap any of the staffs or fingers. But that model is also like 5x the size of typical gaming miniatures. And the antlers on the stag (for example) would be difficult even at that scale.

Having said that, I don’t mean to put anyone off trying. Sometimes things do print a lot better than I think they will.

2 Likes

BB had a post about Eligoo printers (mb available at the BB store, cough, or amazon, gack) and I think I’ve finally found a technology that can do what I want without getting into the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to make it happen. Tho a mini-fig made from sintered metal would be boss.

I have seen some 25/35mm scale figures made with a consumer FDM printer, and they were surprisingly decent. By which I mean they weren’t as terrible as I thought they’d be. Though it seems like you’d really want an SLA/DLP printer for mini-making. I’m still trying to figure out what the minimum specs are for a printer to make semi-decent miniatures, though.

If you mean the specs of the printer, it makes next to no difference. Even the cheapest home printer will nominally have more resolution than you could make use of. What you are paying for with a $1500 vs a $300 printer is pretty much build quality and design. A cheap printer may be difficult to level and keep level, or be a PITA to configure and use with decent slicing software, or have a badly-designed feed system, etc. – and is a bad choice for plastics other than regular PLA – but if it’s working at all, it’ll give you pretty much the same results.

If you mean the specs of the model, that’s really a black art. Objects that are vaguely pyramidal or mound-like will generally print well even at teeny sizes; tall, top-heavy objects on long spindly legs can be almost impossible. But there are many specific situations that can cause problems, and some models just inscrutably don’t want to print well. This is where SLS really has the edge; it’s not a lot more detailed than FDM at this point, but it will pretty much work for any model first time.

Any current printer will do 0.1mm or smaller layers, and at that resolution you can get excellent detail… provided the print doesn’t fail.

For miniatures specifically, it might be worth bothering with dual extrusion and soluble support. I wouldn’t know personally.

1 Like

I was thinking printer specs. The minis I’ve seen printed on FDM printers did suffer from some obvious resolution issues and the printers didn’t seem capable of really detailed miniatures. I wasn’t even thinking beyond that, but some of the issues I’ve seen might have gone beyond resolution (and also were with older printers).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.