Hundreds of vampires discovered in mass grave

Originally published at: Hundreds of vampires discovered in mass grave | Boing Boing

5 Likes

That’s a bit more recent than 200 years ago

11 Likes

Even more recent “evidence”:

12 Likes

actually, we’re all living in the future, and we’ve just been waiting for you to catch on up. and really, the water’s fine, so jump on in. ( the water also happens to be everywhere, so there’s that. and we mix a lot of metaphors. you’ll see )

8 Likes

Ahh. . . that takes me back. Good times in the Carpathians.

6 Likes

It_s_a_Trick_Get_an_Axe_Army_of_Darkness

7 Likes

14 Likes

So “decaptated” means vampires, not the standard method of execution for treason in Poland from the medieval to the beginnings of the modern era? I’m sorry, it seems to be to be far more likely the remains of a bunch of non-nobles who tried to have a bit more liberty and freedom and were executed for their efforts, or a judge who like killing people by beheading handling a minor uprising.

7 Likes

Well, some folks successfully got a lot of women killed in parts of the world by spreading malicious rumors about them being witches. :man_shrugging:

Stranger Things Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

14 Likes

Renfield probably isn’t going to win any awards but I did love the dumb joke where Dracula was able to let himself into the title character’s apartment because of an unfortunately-worded doormat.

12 Likes

Because those women were better at making beer than the men.

Seriously.

10 Likes

Yes, and people who rebelled against the state in Christian countries for much of history were literally told they were going to hell because the King was anointed by God to be their ruler, and all power and rightness flowed down from him, which seems like it could easily result in this sort of treatment, as their rebellion was thereby not just against the local tax collectors, but against god himself.

1840s seems late for this sort of susperstitious action, being post-Enlightmentment by a good generation or two, but the Enlightenment era was followed by an era, the Romantic, which embraced the supernatural and fantastic.

8 Likes

Staking isn’t as secure.

DF941102

9 Likes

Sooooo the heads were right next to the bodies, and the brick was protection? Did the heads have fangs? Were there at least capes as part of their outfits?

7 Likes

All the werewolves we asked scratched one ear with a hind leg and had no comment.

12 Likes

username checks out. relatively speaking.

6 Likes

First of all, vampires are a subtype of revenants. These are revenant graves, but there is no evidence that people in Poland believed in vampires at the time.

Second of all, whoever took that photo should have placed the North arrow and photo board somewhere else. Putting it in place of the head looks ridiculous and obscures relevant information. It’s just unprofessional.

8 Likes

I’m not doubting the timeline, I’m just saying “scapegoats” has been a major problem for all of time.

I mean, we’ve got folks today who want to hang and burn transsexuals because they think they’re grooming children, and folks who think they can prevent COVID by drinking bleach and dosing with Ivermectin, and somehow it all relates to racism. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The one doesn’t have to exclude the other. If you behead a bunch of people you tend to be very interested in making sure they don’t return to haunt you.

4 Likes

Hundreds of vampires discovered in mass grave

Hundreds of people suspected of vampirism discovered in mass grave. Pretty certain there were no actual vampires there.

10 Likes