I am fond of my Butter Bell

We like to spread it around.

3 Likes

Several people in our family had these and were excited by them. But we have all gone back to regular butter dishes because the water got moldy in the bells. I have never had butter go bad in regular butter dishes, but got mold in the bells at least a few times before I got rid of mine.

Part of the issue could have been that ours were hand-glazed with a rough surface that made it hard to clean, and probably harbored mold in the surface irregularities. The one pictured in the post looks smoother and shaped to clean more easily.

Still, why bother packing the butter in, changing the water, and cleaning these things when a regular butter dish works as well or better, with less wasted butter due to less surface contact.

I don’t go through enough butter these days to leave it out. I just put a few pats of cold butter from the fridge onto my toast in the toaster oven after the cycle is complete. In about 30 seconds the residual heat from the toaster oven melts the butter and all is right with the world.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Whoa.

1 Like

Betty Botter bought a bit of butter
But the bit of butter Betty Botter bought was bitter
So she bought a bit of better butter
To make her bitter butter better.

1 Like

if you have air conditioning it should be fine in TX.
if your kitchen gets to 85 or so… the butter will plop into the water.

i used one for a few years but am much happier using half-sticks in a nice half-stick-sized butter dish.

1 Like

149k$ raised-

For a f**king butter dish.

I’m in the wrong business.

7 Likes

Yeah, but does it require a constant internet connection to unlock the lid, and does it reject third party butter? If not, I dont want it.

6 Likes

German butter tends to look like this:
https://bergbauernmilch.de/en/our-products/private-consumer/butter/butter/butter-fresh-mountain-alpine-cream/250-g-butter-pack.html

At least, that’s the brand I buy.

Oh, and the butter dish I own looks like this, only in white:

2 Likes

Round 2:
Betty Botter bought a bit of butter
But the bit of butter Betty Botter bought was bitter
Sometimes in the summer, the butter seemed to smell
But then she bought a butter bell and now the butter’s swell
:blush:

3 Likes

Texas, also, here. We keep the house at 75 or 76F. The butter is fine in one of these sitting on the counter. I change the water about every three days. The butter is gone so quickly though. The real problem is not being lazy about filling it again with more butter. Sure is nice having soft butter for toast.

1 Like

I almost forgot the most important butter shape - the butter lamb!

A perennial favorite in Western New York.

5 Likes

Looks more like a butter cockatoo!

1 Like

Mlle. Tossi had that joke ‘Do you buy 32lb. bricks of butter, or 32 individual pounds?’ in her podcast, and I’m way more satisfied worrying about that than white goods with magnets. I think I could corroborate the butter bell mouldering within a day of someone falling out of love with it, if only that were causal in the Texas cases, too.

Racked heat exchange devices or nothing. Schumpeter will make the butter divvin’ parts on s’ own.

And then there the Southeast Asian format for butter used in baking:

Yes, it’s an Australian brand of butter, but it’s the best butter for baking available in Singapore for some reason. I’m not sure what benefit you get from having butter in a can (maybe the aussies can explain it) but it really makes a difference for pineapple tarts and sugee cakes.

4 Likes

Of course the mass-produced lambs look a bit off-model. I love that this video showing how to make a butter lamb at home uses two whole pounds of butter.

3 Likes

Before Venezuela went to political hell the best butter made there was also found in a can, these days my parents have switched over to European butter. Has a similar taste and quality and is available everywhere in the US

2 Likes

I’ve never seen butter in a can in Australia, but there’s a big dairy export industry so I suspect it’s an export-only thing. Perhaps it’s for export to tropical areas?

Another reason that occurs to me - you can buy ghee in cans like that, so maybe it’s designed to appeal to a market that already buys ghee.

(ETA - the company address is in NZ, but they have a big dairy export industry too.)

5 Likes

It is so weird to read this instead of 1.25 cm
That is all.

1 Like

You could always try the cow:

(600 lbs of butter!)

5 Likes