I asked a bot to re-write Ernest Cline's READY PLAYER TWO

I didn’t find Ready Player One great, but neither did I find it crap. It was just okay and a quick fun nostalgia trip for those of us who are into such things. The movie was a fun slightly dumb popcorn flick, worth one watch for me and that was it. I haven’t decided if I’m going to read Ready Player Two, but it’s low on my reading list.

2 Likes

It was only when I really read RPO for the second or third time that I noticed some of the skeevy parts. Like the part where he said that boys just rape women if they don’t beat off every now and again, or where he asked, repeatedly, someone he considered a friend “whats in your pants” and then blamed said friend for lying abut their gender (and turning the lead character on) … only later to come back and basically tell her he accepts her apology for misleading him.

In the new one, he mentions, at least twice that this character (who , he reminds us is misleading about their gender) is a “a black woman who went back to Senegal, the native land of her ancestors.” He literally says it , that way, twice. And again forgives her for misleading him. In this book.

6 Likes

Good to know. I’ll be skipping the sequel then. Thanks.

I forgot about that in the first book. Ick. Also, now that you’ve reminded me, there was something in the movie about the main character “accepting” the romantic interest despite her game avatar being male. I don’t really recall all the details because frankly neither the book nor the movie were all that memorable. Skeevy indeed.

2 Likes

Listened to the RPO audiobook and distinctly remember the main character telling her, “I’m really a nice guy…once you get to know me.” :neutral_face:

4 Likes

That sequence about movie replicas could work in film - just do a quick pan across and don’t draw too much attention. But as written it comes across as super laboured, especially with the weird choice to explain every reference in excruciating detail

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.