I found out about this amusing Karen parody of American Girl dolls because they want it taken down

And it’s not like the Karen AG parody is a real product that the poster was trying to sell for profit… it’s a joke in the form of a meme, one which I probably would have never even noticed, had AG not deigned to invoke the Wrath of Saint Babs:

17 Likes

The mis-spelling of ‘independent’ is a classy touch. Make America Grate Again!

3 Likes

Pretty sure the joke here isn’t just “lol Karens” in isolation: it’s directly hinging on the way toys for girls are created, marketed, and perceived. But thanks for your opinion.

1 Like

It’s riffing on privileged White American women.

In other words, the kind of women who likely had parents that would have been able to buy them a $140 doll designed to embody a specific flavor of Americana.

16 Likes

11 Likes

My point is that the “specific flavor of Americana” isn’t even accurate. Allow me my stupid pedantry on a board of pedantry about stupid things.

If you want to argue that satirical jokes have no actual context, that’s quite a take, but ok.

1 Like

14 Likes

Apologies, I edited and rephrased. I do actually appreciate the pedantry in this community.

2 Likes

9 Likes

What have the Karens done to deserve this?

3 Likes

ab-fab-okay-leaving

11 Likes

Exactly. I thought the Karen meme was about racist white women, not about non-mask using white women (even if there’s an overlap).

I wondered for a moment if making fun of Karens is close to racism, but decided it is not.

Racism is based on a fact you are born with. Being a Karen is based on behavior, at least according to my definition of a Karen. I define a Karen as: “A person who, due to age and privilege, thinks she is entitled to more than she actually is.”

So is if a person is offended by being called a Karen they can change their behavior. A person cannot change their race.

Of course; assuming every middle-aged woman with a short haircut you meet is a Karen and automatically treat her as such is a lot closer to racism.

3 Likes

Actually, I did link to a discussion of how satirical use, to which this refers, is less secure than parody.

11 Likes

I read an excellent article last week about this:

It’s a better and more complex read than I care to summarize. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Because Karen:

8 Likes

Bonus points that she’s from TN. (My roots.)

3 Likes

Just remembered this:

Life imitating/surpassing The Onion?

11 Likes

The male version is a massively obese white man squeezed into a 2XL tactical vest.

I’m not fat shaming, but don’t taking playing soldier too seriously when you’re physically not ready for any of it. Some of these militia weirdos are too overweight to even be cops. And you can imagine how low that bar must be …

6 Likes

Wasn’t Karen originally the woman who asks for the manager? And then she evolved surely. To me, this is one of the funniest things I have seen all day. It’s 06:25 though. Good morning all!

1 Like