I hate DVDs so I bought a $13 DVD player

Because of the utter hellhole that is rights negotiations among the sqabbling streaming vendors, physical disks are still often the best way to obtain movies(and music, as well, for similar reasons).

Once you have them, though, any setup that involves having to repeatedly touch them in the future, rather than just summoning them from the server, feels dreadfully primitive.

2 Likes

There is an SDR implementation of ATSC floating around; but my understanding is that itā€™s of largely theoretical interest.

(edit: historical note: Back when the ā€˜broadcast flagā€™ was the yet-another-DRM-suckfest of the day, the SDR implementation was rather more subversive, since it was basically the ATSC equivalent of the ā€˜analog holeā€™ in audio. With audio, the analog hole is actually practical, since an ADC thatā€™ll do adequate-quality audio costs a few dollars; but the software-ATSC implementation was a demonstration that, with a much nicer ADC and some math you can get from the internet, you could have a tuner that the broadcast flag could never affect. In practice, a good enough ADC was too expensive, and the broadcast flag largely faded from significance; but there was a bit of manifesto mixed in with somebody having a go at doing it just as a neat project.)

The really cheap DVT-B dongles that can be coaxed into SDR arenā€™t very good at it(great for the price; but performances is quite limited and precludes a number of more demanding applications, including ATSC); and the SDR hardware that is good enough is much more expensive than buying a dongle for ATSC, one for DVT-B, a spare for each, and maybe an analog capture card to go with it.

Something like a HackRF will run a bit above $300, and the USRP offerings start close to $700 and can be pushed into the multiple-thousands range depending on what you need.

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s probably just your device, the FCC requires closed captions now on anything that was broadcast with them. (If youā€™re not an American, uhh hooray?)

Though if you want subtitling without [DOORBELL RINGS] or [MUSIC ] or [ANNOYED GRUNT] I suppose youā€™re out of luck.

The point, I think, was because his DVD drive was dying, DVD drives are no longer standard on computers, but he found a really cheap alternative that works. Shared in case someone else is getting flustered about the same situation.

I like the concept, btw, of treating DVDā€™s like I treat my CDā€™s: rip them, then put them in a nice box in the closet as an archive backup. Saves wear and tear. Now if only I could do the same comfortably with my hardcovers: rip them into ebooks and preserve the nice editionsā€¦

2 Likes

It is my understanding that modern flat screen TVs run some linux version. Rooting it perhaps is possible, but I have the impression it is very device specific.
A Panasonic TV my father owns, has a non functioning (?) SD card slot and the model number doesnā€™t even exist on Panasonicā€™s web resources.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen at least one Panasonic TV that only used the SD card slot for firmware updates. Whether any of those firmware updates enabled additional functionality I donā€™t know.

and where to get those firmware update files? In authorised Panasonic centers, paying to upgrade the TVā€¦

These things should come with a free SDKā€¦

1 Like

I tried to watch a Netflix DVD last night. One computer could load the disc but couldnā€™t make sense of the files, playing only a minute and a half of anti-piracy warnings in languages I didnā€™t know existed. The next computer just spat out the disc, unread. The DVD player really wanted me to watch 20 minutes of commercials.

I raise a toast to all the folks who rip DVDs and make their content available on YouTube and Vimeo.

4 Likes

Do you take perverse pride in your inability to work a DVD player?

Some DVD players, typically the ā€œbrand nameā€ ones considered high-quality (the off-brand Chinese cheapos are more likely to give more power to the customers) insist on honoring the do-not-skip flag in the content.

And I would not be surprised if the Netflix DVDs were full of that. Never saw any so cannot say with any degree of certainty.

3 Likes

The most important thing I need to know about my DVD player is ā€œ9210ā€. Thatā€™s the code to unlock the region.

2 Likes

For debugging purposes only, Iā€™m sureā€¦

The bug being when a Region 1 DvD conplains about being set to Region 0.

i have a handful of Region 2 stuff: Riget, Yes Minister, a couple of films.

1 Like

This series is amazing. How Brits managed to make a piercing documentary and smuggle it to mainstream media under the guise of humor!

The Christmas Special is fucking brilliant.

Just donā€™t watch the sketch Margaret Thatcher wroteā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.