I hope never to see anything this stupid on a motorcycle again

Originally published at: I hope never to see anything this stupid on a motorcycle again | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Challenge accepted!

30 Likes

Graceful but stupid, that will be on their head stone.

15 Likes

I’ve seen that before but never the consequences.

When ever someone posts on Facebook posters comment how dangerous it is and other people comment it’s his life.

Nope, if he falls off and I hit and kill him I have to live with it.

30 Likes

He dressed neither for the ride nor for the slide, it seems.

20 Likes
3 Likes

Years ago, when my dad was in his 60s, he worked for a guy with more money than sense. That boss bought an over the top custom bike, but didn’t know how to ride. He asked my father to test drive it. Well, a couple miles down the freeway, it basically lost structural integrity and the front wheel came off. It was a mess and a half.

So, he had to dump the bike on the freeway, but the guy behind him slowed down and didn’t change lanes. Dad rolled, thanks to years of experience and FULL gear, and the dude who blocked anyone else from hitting him, he walked away sore but not harmed. The good samaritan even helped him haul the wreck to the shoulder.

People looked at him funny for wearing leathers in the heat of the summer, but dad knew what he was doing, and he had 25 good years after what could have been the end.

62 Likes

That rash is going to hurt for a long, long time. If it teaches him not to put other people’s lives in danger by pulling high speed stunts on a f’ing motorway, then maybe it’s a good lesson, learned the hard way.

12 Likes

The road rash will go away, the stupid, it’s for a lifetime…

10 Likes

8 Likes

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

20 Likes

Looks like the skin grafts could take a long time.

21 Likes

Ah yes, the ole Meat Crayon move…

14 Likes

I know this kind of stupid predates social media, but dang it seems like people are doing incredibly stupid things for the views…

5 Likes

As long as the demand for organs continues to outstrip supply such people aren’t a complete waste; so there is that.

9 Likes

He’ll be picking gravel out of his skin for the rest of his life.

I’ve had bad road rash from my bicycle at moderately slow speeds. Can’t imagine what it’s like at 70+ mph.

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

My cousin the EMT says there’s a well known term for careless motorcycle riders among paramedics: Organ donors

28 Likes

And what they ride is a donorcycle.

Very late on a trauma surgery rotation in school, after nothing had happened all day, three motorcycle wrecks came to the ED within about 20 minutes. The first was just a nasty road rash (nothing remotely like what that guy will have). When I asked her if she had been drinking, she replied, “Well, duuuuuh!” There was some cocaine in there too. Second biker had gone off the road and struck a barbed-wire fence. He ended up losing a foot, though it was still partially attached when I met him (yuck.) Third guy wasn’t as lucky as the others. He made it to surgery, where we discovered his spleen had ruptured (more like exploded, actually - sooooo many pieces) and his left brachial artery had been torn, as well. So, so many units of blood that went in one blood vessel and came out another. He had cardiac arrest multiple times that night in the ICU; family let him go after the third.
And while I know there probably are multiple motorcycle enthusiasts here, I taught my kids from early on about the dangers. When he was very little, my son would say “stupid” whenever a motorcycle passed.

21 Likes

Super Quick Until I Die.

8 Likes

I mean, I took a spill a few weeks ago on my Honeywell Dasher (thanks, BB Store!), when I avoided being run over here in Tijuana. I didn’t quite break any bones, but I certainly did some damage at less than 10 mph. My hand is still a bit swollen and very stiff. I can imagine I would have needed some major surgery if I’d been on a motorcycle.

6 Likes

Is that an acronym; or a reference to their ability to swiftly and dramatically change their skin’s pattern and coloration(albeit only in one direction, unlike their cephalopod counterparts)?

2 Likes