"I’ll never bring my phone on an international flight again. Neither should you."

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: I do understand my perspective on this one could be a little different, for more than one reason, so I thought it worth sharing.[quote=“enso, post:61, topic:95161”]
lot of people don’t travel with phones because their phones don’t work in other countries. Less and less over time but I doubt it will immediately peg you.
[/quote]

I assume that’s your experience and do accept it as such. Of myself, I assume I’m going to hit wi-fi at some point, if nothing else and prefer to use something that’s set-up the way I like it. Even without signal, my phone’s my pocket computer, set up my way, and I see a lot of that mentality with friends and (ex) colleagues. (My phone went to Europe, even without roaming. I’d expect to take it next time.) Does the balance between to two lie close enough to your experience to make this a non issue? Sincerely, I hope so.

That’s more than enough for me. It’d be painful. And I still distrust the situation, especially while the agencies concerned have recently been busy deciding whose rules to obey, despite (in theory) rule of law being clear. And also hiding people while they disagreed. That kinda makes me nervous

And I agree entirely with all of that beyond the quote, and thank you for saying it.

(Though, with

weren’t we being told in the similar threads that a ‘clean’ device without those passwords could be an issue? I know, I know, that wasn’t your argument. :smile: )

I’m done a little bit of International Travel (mainly to Europe), but, whenever I think about visiting my brother in the US, they do something new to put me off the idea of trying to cross their boarders.

1 Like

No one is trying to overturn this pretty big brothery type of law thingie?

As long as you don’t have something really suspicious like a guide to the Bill of Rights, you should still be ok…

4 Likes

This is how our lives will be edited.

Carefully curated family and friend lists, browsing history, comment accounts, a long-abandoned but enthusiastic Wordpress blog, a happily generic Facebook account with vacation photos and just enough compromising photos to be realistic, and a dash of angst for the win.

Living in the digital age is hard work. Very few will actually build up a second set of accounts, so that means everything we do with our main accounts will be in the context of scrutiny by authorities.

We’ve always edited our looks…clothes, cosmetics, haircut; being seen reading an edgy or intellectual book; intentional affective speech pattern; our personal style; our resume. We’ve done for it sex, for work, for social status, and now we’re doing it to be seen as legitimate.

If you don’t have a phone or laptop with you, you are automatically suspect.

…has this been turned into a dystopian short story already?

3 Likes

If you read the link, “dangers” includes more than crime-by-a-stranger: particularly, a lot more injury and death occurs in the suburbs and rural areas because there is more reliance on driving to get anywhere. Also, the fact that it takes longer to get to a medical center in the case of an accident, you’re less likely to live if you’re in a remote location than if you’re in a dense city.

1 Like

Despite it being true I suppose they won’t take “I don’t have a facebook account” as an answer. I use untypable passwords for mail with 2nd factor that isn’t my phone. In the case of email I would have to say “I don’t know the password to my email and I didn’t bring my password vault” I guess I would be strip searched at that point.

I suppose it’s easier if I create a dull outlook account in my real name and attach a bunch of bland news sites and make sure it gets full of dull spam.

You’re proving my point.

I’m going to be charitable and assume you’re either exaggerating for effect or ignorant of all but a few specific spots in the U.S.

I used to live there. What you just said is balderdash.

You don’t need to call yourself stupid. We disagree on something.

Wait, what?
Though I have not flown since before 9/11 and I need to learn all the new Airport rules.
Since when do they (TSA?) look into your phone? Is this against my First or Fourth Amendment rights?
Getting too old for this…

Name the law… Hint, there isn’t one to overturn really.

1 Like

Did you read the article? Not TSA, Customs when you cross the border… Many of your rights don’t legally apply at a border crossing.

1 Like

I meant what year did this go into effect?

sometime after 9/11. It got turned up a notch in the last four or so years.

These are custom regulations. Congress didn’t pass a law explicitly making this how things are done.

1 Like

I don’t get out much, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.