I saw this most asinine bumper sticker today on a car in Phoenix

Automobiles don’t cause traffic accidents, people do!

Without automobiles, walkers, cyclists and equestrians would still find ways to get into accidents if they are determined to do so!!

To really keep us safe what we need are more good guys with cars on the roads.

/s

3 Likes

Propaganda works.

2 Likes

And also capable of delivering a large number of these individually ‘low calibre’ slugs to a target in a very short amount of time.

1 Like

But you can’t erase 19 school kids in an hour with just a pencil.

4 Likes

You forgot the “outlaw people” aspect of this approach. Include that and I think you have a winner!

4 Likes

garments wear people out

2 Likes

It seems the larger argument that few people want to talk about is the trillions of dollars corporations (cigarettes, social media, fast food, etc) plow into the science of eroding the customer’s impulse control to increase brand loyalty and profits. All that toxic conditioning has to have a carryover effect onto use of guns to ‘resolve’ issues.

3 Likes

So, I agree that guns, by themselves, do not generally kill people, because they are objects, and it’s pretty self-evident that objects do not have agency. Duh. But just as a pencil enables misspellings (you can’t misspell a spoken word), a gun enables killing people. A car enables drunk driving, as does alcohol. Not that you can’t kill someone without a gun, but the gun makes the process way easier. And unlike a pencil, which can be erased, as astutely pointed out above, and a car, which has numerous safety features, insurance requirements, etc., a gun’s effects are permanent, and it has an on/off switch. Probably. To deny that guns are a problem is to deny reality.

4 Likes

You keep up this kinda common sense, rational, logical esplanation an’ my headz gunna 'splode.

2 Likes

Some guns need less people than others:

I expect in the future, guns will be lethal all on their own.

4 Likes

Or as Laurie Anderson sang way back in the late '70s, “It’s not the bullet that kills you – it’s the hole.”

2 Likes

Right! Holes kill people! We need hole control!

It all started to go wrong when they found 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire and then we exported that particular mania to the US in the guise of a group of mop-top muzos!

/s (I didn’t really need that, did I.)

But it’s the speed and depth of the hole-making and the distance you can do it from with a bullet that matters. I can make holes in someone with a knife, but it’s hard to commit mass murder that way.

3 Likes

That thing is gonna be super useful for fighting World War II.

checks calendar

Oh, so, colossal waste of resources then. Cool cool.

4 Likes

This logic seems compelling. It’s not like switching everyone’s sherbet spoons for foie gras-grade gavage nozzles would be expected to have an impact of weight gain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.