IBM boasts it will replace thousands of workers with AI

Originally published at: IBM boasts it will replace thousands of workers with AI | Boing Boing

4 Likes
6 Likes

Will this finally be the application where ‘watson’ doesn’t overpromise during the dramatic announcement and then quietly fizzle out once the cameras leave?

If there’s one thing that IBM can execute, it’s a “resource action”, as they describe them, so perhaps; but given the veritable curse that seems to hang around IBM ‘AI’ announcements I’m not 100% sure.

3 Likes

Conveniently far enough down the line that he can take his bonuses, package and retire on an island somewhere. IBM has a history of under-performing stock buybacks, and he has to get those shares up somehow.

I think they mean imaginary.

3 Likes

And 10 years after that, they’ll quietly reintroduce some of the workers to get such AI programs to behave correctly and answer questions the AI program can’t answer.

4 Likes

Whatever happened to the “automation will free humans to have more and more leisure time” bs we were told long ago?

The future ain’t what it used to be, just sayin’.

6 Likes

The AIs will be the means of production, controlled by the few companies that own them, used by companies that rent them to displace humans. (The companies that rent them will eventually be screwed over, via enshitification, but once their business depends on those AIs, what can they do?)

5 Likes

Are we certain that CEO Arvind Krishna actually said this; or was it actually put out by ChatGTP looking to gain greater real world control? :thinking:

4 Likes

We’re training-up the BoingBoing post-em A.I. now? Now with: moist_banana extra special function. (Comment A.I. close on its heels? “yeah, but two sets of those will be needed in order to break infinite piss-off loops”)

2 Likes

It was always BS? :woman_shrugging: As long as we live in a capitalist society, they will continue to extract labor from us and try and pay us as little as possible. It’s always about profit, never about us.

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

Under a strict “we predict that you won’t do your job in the future because machines will” interpretation it’s not wholly false.

It’s just all those messy details that go into the social and political aspects of making this outcome ‘vacation’ rather than ‘unemployment’ that were allowed to slide…

3 Likes

Utopia Now

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.