If Amazon existed in the 1980s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/if-amazon-existed-in-the-1980s.html

3 Likes
5 Likes

Amazon was founded in 1994, that’s not that far from the 1980ies.

6 Likes

Maybe not to you or your dog, but these are computer years we’re talking about. Five years might as well be centuries.

5 Likes

Weeeelllll…

Amazon if it existd in the 1980s and you had a PC.

1 Like

With the CPU cycles we had at the time? Please.

1 Like

I had a PC in the 80s, but didn’t get a modem until around 1995.

2 Likes

Technically Amazon did exist in the 80’s just not as the internet behemoth that we now know.

The original company that had the name (a feminist bookstore op-operative) started in the 1970’s, and they sold the name to Bezos’ company in 1999, after they had sued.

7 Likes

This sounds like the kind of Amazon I’d rather have.

5 Likes

Same here; even as convenient as the ‘corporate evil’ version is, sometimes.

4 Likes

Prodigy (the online service) was around in the 80’s and 90’s. It had decent vector graphics and was usable at 2400 bps (I dialed up at 1200 bps for years). You could buy and sell things, there were forums, simple games, and it had some attention to design, layout, and aesthetics.

Unfortunately I usually used Prodigy in monochrome because with CGA you could trade color for a crisp higher resolution (640x200).

THX L8R

5 Likes

Sears had it’s online catalog with Prodigy in the 80-90’s.
Dial up and “bitmap” graphics. I’m finding it difficult to see any screen caps of that service for the shopping bits anyways.

2 Likes

If only - I moved to Japan in '75 and could not buy books in English until Amazon so it would have been a dream come true!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.