"If I could pick just one book for you to read..."

The books I have bought most frequently since I keep giving them away to friends are The River Why by David James Duncan, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. But my recommendations always depend upon the recipient.

I see that the two books that stand upon my desk at work and probably won’t ever go away are Additional Dialogue: Letters of Dalton Trumbo 1942-1962, and a second edition of G. Legman’s The Limerick. With a full 1,700 examples in the latter, I never have to reach far for an uplift.

Number 1587:

A bather whose clothing was strewed
By winds that left her quite nude,
Saw a man come along,
And unless we are wrong
You expected this line to be lewd.

2 Likes

If you could read my bookshelf
What a tale it has to tell…

Everyone Poops.

Stanislaw Lem’s Fiasco.

It was very, very hard for me to read any sci-fi after this book. I guess that could be good or bad.

1 Like

Went to look at my library shelves. There isn’t much fiction left there; it just doesn’t seem to hold up for me in the rereading. A few exceptions are Mary Doria Russell’s books, ‘The Sparrow’ and ‘Children of God’.

In non-fiction, books I’ve picked back up several times is ‘In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts’ by Gabor Mate, and ‘Cadillac Desert’ by Marc Reisner.

The Story of B by Daniel Quinn.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.