10 captivating short stories everyone should read

[Permalink]

“Parson’s Pleasure” is a great pick. Remembered the story three lines in - I’d read and loved it long ago but forgotten the title.

I’ll add this to the list:

1 Like

I would like to nominate “The Nine Billion Names of God” by Arthur C. Clarke.

3 Likes

Among The Dangs by George P. Elliott
The Singers by Ivan Turgenev
The Artificial Nigger by Flannery O’Connor

so many…

1 Like

That’s my favorite Gaiman story as well.

Oops - forgot about “How to Talk to Girls.”

It seems to me there’s a lot of stuff out there you can find online, but that might not actually be there legally. This copy of Robert Bloch’s Hugo-winning That Hell-Bound Train, for instance. Normally I wouldn’t hesitate to link to Ted Chiang’s “Understand” over at Infinity Plus, but – shock! – it is “no longer available”.

Anyway, everyone should read The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster, an astonishingly prescient piece from 1909, though admittedly a bit lengthy and slow-paced

2 Likes

seconded.

My nomination: nearly anything by Raymond Carver.

No If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth by Clarke, The Fog Horn by Bradbury, or Flowers for Algernon by Keyes?

All elegant tragedies, and each with a style of its own.

Yes that’s a good story but my favourite is still one of his first: Travel by wire

Also I think Air Raid by John Varley is one of the best short SF stories ever written.

What? A list without Allan Poe?

3 Likes

I love “The Alligators” by John Updike.The last paragraph is about as poignant as it gets.

I just remembered a superb Dahl story- “The Visitor”. It’s available on Youtube as an audiobook. Really good!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.