If Indiana legalizes homophobic discrimination, Gen Con's leaving Indianapolis

[Permalink]

1 Like

You feeling okay, Cory? You got a lot wrong in this one. The letter doesn’t say Gen Con will pull out, only that it will be considered. It doesn’t seem like it would happen too soon, given that the con has a contract with the convention center until 2020 … which you failed to mention. Seems like a pretty big omission. You say $10 million, but the source says $50 million. Your link to Slashdot is to … Slashdot, not the specific story. Better link.

For what it’s worth, the bill passed both houses with such large majorities that the bill would probably pass even if the governor vetoes it, if Indiana’s constitution works the same way as the national one. Any Hoosiers out there? I really don’t have time to grovel through those details.

3 Likes

No. It says it will “factor into our decision making”.

Which, if you’re familiar with threats, is one. Are -you- feeling okay? You seem to have missed that entirely.

14 Likes

Considering Gen is short for Lake Geneva, WI, that ought to tell you all you need to know on their willingness to move from Indiana if the circumstances warrant it.

5 Likes

I’m curious what’s covered here. Can you discriminate based on race? The feds might have a problem with that. It would be pretty embarrassing if they had to send the national guard to Indiana.

Can I put up a sign in my business saying that it goes against my deeply held spiritual beliefs to serve anyone who supports this legislation?

How about religion?
“Here at Sam’s Satanic Speakeasy, nobody gets in the door without spitting on a bible.”

11 Likes

If the contract was made under one set of requirements. Their are assumptions…such as providing accommodations in a non-threating manner to the attendees. If a law changes that atmosphere in which the contract was signed (IE: attendees not being secure about accommodations or even being served food).
That could breach the contract…even if it’s not explicit in the contract. As the ability of the convention center to change the rules changes…the contract could be null.

The convention center could at a whim refuse to serve gay and lesbian attendees. Even if it’s simply the ability, the contract could be in question as it’s a new term and ability on table.

12 Likes

It doesn’t, they only need a simple majority to override. Vetoes in IN are legislatively worthless in a direct sense, but in a practical sense, a governor’s veto can still kill it dead. Customarily members of the governor’s party will not vote against his veto. Customarily.

I find GenCon’s threat to be admirable, but hollow. Not because I don’t think they’ll follow through, but because Pence is such an asshole. A real Class-A Bag o’ Dicks. He’s the one who decided to cut off food stamps extensions under the premise that if poor people starve, they’ll magically create a million more jobs than there are currently unemployed people. Even if GenCon leaves and takes the Colts with it, he’d probably still sign it for the right-wing cred.

That’s what you get when you have an elected official that has presidential aspirations: Someone truly unfit to govern.

8 Likes

My beliefs as an atheist mean I am allowed to discriminate against the religious, because if you believe the caveman ideology of any religion you’re pretty shit at critical thinking and as such put my prosperity and well-being at risk.

The solution to religion discriminating is to discriminate against religion and the religious. No more tax exempt status for cloud cowboy clubs please.

8 Likes

What is it with everyone and this moronic non-solution to anything ever? When any jackhole can set up a non-profit for anything, excluding religious organizations is a very targeted move… that will result in nothing. We tax a lot of things in this country that don’t magically go out of business because we tax them. That’s not even what taxes are for. But thanks for reinforcing the pervasive and destructive idea that taxation is a punitive endeavor.

3 Likes

Right, because an eye for an eye is so far removed from “caveman ideology”…

2 Likes

Name one non-profit group that comes anywhere close to having the power of even minor religious organisations. I’m not expecting them to ‘go out of business’ when taxed, I’m merely expecting them to play by the same rules as everyone else - especially when their enterprises are run much more like businesses than a typical non-profit.

Non-solution? That big fat pile o’ extra tax revenue might help to pay off some of the US’s huge public debt, fix your crumbling infrastructure or any number of other useful things.

7 Likes

One of the things that the people who support this bill never seem to have considered is that there are other religions than Christianity.

Considering how many paranoid right-wingers apparently think we need to remain ever-vigilant lest the midwest falls under Sharia Law, you’d think that at least some of them might realize that this law would give that Muslim guy who runs the only gas station in town the right to refuse service to any woman who wasn’t wearing the right kind of head scarf.

13 Likes

OK so your solution is to just be gentlemanly despite religion’s staunch opposition to growing the fuck up?

Lets say someone you work with explicitly states they feel moralistically sound in discriminating against members of the queer community. Would you just go along with it because everyone’s welcome to their opinion? I agree that everyone is welcome to their opinion, but don’t expect me to treat people fairly when they state that they aren’t gonna do the same.

Much like racism, homophobic discrimination will only begin to become a publicly untenable position once the public makes it clear that people with those opinions will be treated like the worthless shit stains they are.

8 Likes

It is More than Welcome back in Milwaukee!

2 Likes

[quote=“ActionAbe, post:9, topic:54332”]When any jackhole can set up a non-profit for anything, excluding religious organizations is a very targeted move…[/quote]Uh, no… The tax exemption religious organizations get is waaay different than non-profits get. I can sum it up with the two most major reasons:

1. Religions don’t have to be non-profit. They can make a bajillion™ dollars, spend it on caviar filled solid gold swimming pools, and the government aren’t allowed to tax a single penny of it.
  2. The IRS isn’t allowed to see a Religion’s books without the permission of the religious officers. Suspect that church is funneling money to terrorists? Paying illegal immigrants under the table? Getting a significant income from smuggling cocaine into the country? Paying for the Bishop to take a trip to Thailand and rent out a brothel filled with 8-year-olds? Laundering money for the mob? Too bad - suspect all you like, but the church doesn’t have to tell you anything about its finances.
9 Likes

And this is where I bow out. You’re part of the problem. You don’t see it yet–and maybe it will take a few decades–but you are absolutely part of the problem.

3 Likes

If a religion wants the rights everyone else enjoys, they ought to adhere to the same responsibilities as well. Such responsibilities include

• Paying your share of taxes
  • Reporting crimes to the police
  • Not bombing abortion clinics or shooting satirists

Pastors, Imams, and Rabbis tell their congregations in no uncertain terms who to vote for and organize political activism. No other tax-exempt organizations are allowed to do that. Why should religious organizations get preferential treatment? The only reasons I’ve ever been given revolve around “respect for people’s beliefs” and “religious organizations do a lot of good”. The first isn’t a reason for special treatment at all, and the second is quite frankly irrelevant as long as we don’t make religious organizations report their finances. People can talk a blue streak about how their church or mosque is doing such good work in the third world, but since the IRS doesn’t have a right to look at the bookkeeping these organizations are asking non-adherents to have as much faith in them as the religious have in their imaginary sky friends.

8 Likes

Oh, goody, another Reddit atheist who conflates evangelistic Christianity with religion in general. yawn I’d love to know what you find “caveman” about, say, Jainism, Theravada Buddhism, or Bokononism. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Bow out? You didn’t even participate, but thanks for playing anyway.

It must be nice to wander around the internet knowing you’re better than everyone without ever challenging your ideas.

3 Likes

Oh goody, another American that assumes everyone else on the internet comes from America and has a worldview shaped by the realities there.

If you check my comment history you’ll see I’m no fan of the reddit circlejerk. I’ll get back to you on those specifically, but there’s always some nonsense shit in any belief system that requires one to suspend critical thinking.

3 Likes