If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Helsinki:

12 Likes

Finland’s icebreaker fleet didn’t move all winter.

https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en/see-and-do/sights/impressive-icebreakers

17 Likes

The neighbors, bless their hearts, getting ready to do the big concrete pour to completely cover their backyard, around the pool, with concrete. (The question of drainage remains.)

I hope the guys doing it know what they’re doing or that steel and concrete will go through their roof like a cheese cutter.

8 Likes

Helsinki, Finland. Today.

12 Likes

What is the photo of the mailboxes about?

6 Likes

They are the mailboxes for the icebreakers. I don’t know why Kontio doesn’t have one.
Urho = Brave
Sisu = Guts
Voima = Power/Force
Otso = another name for a Bear
Kontio = another name for a Bear
Polaris

If you say karhu (bear) in the woods s/he will take it as invitation to eat you.

18 Likes

Oh, wow. I guess they run with a very small crew. Thanks!

9 Likes

Evening sky’s a bit armageddon-y today.

15 Likes

Do I get a birthday cake or something?

ETA: Apparently not. BBS says it’s my “anniversary” and I thought I’d get some kind of flair on my avatar if I post today.

:cake:

7 Likes

do you have your B-day listed? If so, it gives you the cake then!

Happy cake day!

6 Likes

That nearly feels hot :flushed:

6 Likes

It reminded me of this (even though it’s a photo of the ground)

5 Likes

5 Likes

Socks for sale at the bike store (which remains open – they say they’re crazy busy with repairs, I suppose a good problem to have, but no new bikes except what’s on-hand)

8 Likes

More (sub)urban archaeology.* This is the ostensible street address of the Washington Metro station in College Park. Judging from the wear and tear, I’d guess the sign has been here all along. But it only just occurred to me that there is no 50th Avenue ‐- not right there, anyway. A block or two north, there is. Evidently River Rd. used to be 50th.

*if there’s some job where I can get paid to ruminate about things like this, or the abandoned Litton sign etc., I’ll take it. (When I lived in Austin, the fascination was with abandoned rail tracks – the M-K-T and/or So. Pacific lines embedded in the pavement downtown; the spur line that went past the old Lockheed site, west of the current airport…)

10 Likes

Every day within a few minutes of 5:30pm this guy comes by for a stroll on the patio and a peek through the window.

17 Likes

Some photos of some defunct, swampy fountains/pools in Prospect Park. Whenever I hang out here I always think about how if I stumbled upon this area in a King’s Quest game, my heart would be thumping.

15 Likes

Remember that rainbow thing I posted about at some point? Kids and parents drawing a rainbow in their window to show there’s a child who stays at home?

The rainbows are still a thing. In addition, beautifully coloured stones turned up, often with names written on them. They gather together in places because kids could not (and even though playgrounds are opened, social distancing is requested, so kids miss a lot of their otherwise usual contact.

That’s a roundabout. Printout on the lawn asks children of the neighborhood if enough stones could come together to go full circle. There’s some room left.

But very obviously, some parents take part as well:

That’s a direct quote, and a statement.

Also, this is a statement as well. To what end, I don’t know.

That’s also kind of a statement, right? Prost!

Yeah, can relate:

Some are a bit obscure…

really unsure what to make of it - in May! - but then, this is obvsl a kid’s art, so maybe just a whish for a merry Christmas.

The next two are pure genius.

I am sure Anne Wheaton will approve.

17 Likes

Olmsted for the win.

7 Likes

This was perched upon the light fixture on the back porch.

Makes sense, as that’s where the insects would be…

19 Likes