If you speed up "Never Gonna Give You Up," it becomes a magical girl anime theme song

Originally published at: If you speed up "Never Gonna Give You Up," it becomes a magical girl anime theme song | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Being only distantly related to Algernop Krieger i must ask: what’s the deep symbolism behind the shoe’s first contact being precisely upon a flower petal? (“man, you don’t wanna know…”)

1 Like

My first fully intentional self-Rick-Roll. Hats off to you Mark!

6 Likes

I don’t know. I feel Snoop Dogg compliments anime pretty well:

4 Likes

That’s not just any flower petal, that’s a cherry blossom. Or as the Japanese call the tree, a Sakura… and the anime that opening is from is titled (you’ll never guess it) Card Captor Sakura! Google-san tells me this about Sakura:

The blooming of these legendary trees represents a time of renewal, feminine beauty, and the fragility of human life.

I think that probably covers it in a nutshell. Those sorts of themes are definitely on-point for a magical-girl anime.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is a Rick Roll, but…
God, I haven´t seen Cardcaptor Sakura in like 20 years…
The japanese version of “Never gonna give you up” fits scarily god.

1 Like

If you speed up Springsteen’s I’m on fire it sounds like Dolly Parton.

3 Likes

Wait, what? I came here expecting to get Rick Rolled, and instead all I get is crappy anime music? Wtf?

1 Like

If you really speed it up, it sounds like a mosquito, and if you hear it, it means someone is trapped in a parallel dimension nearby.

5 Likes

youtube’s 1.5 speed seems to be jussst about right.

1 Like

J-Pop group Wink covered Kylie Minogue’s Turn It Into Love, also a Stock Aitken Waterman song, so this doesn’t surprise me. And it was used as a TV drama theme song.

If you speed it up does it turn into a magical girl anime theme?

1 Like

More like a vast majority of world pop (including J, K, and MandoPop) seemingly got frozen stylistically right around 1988?

Every time I’m out of the country and get a dose of radio it’s a time machine.

1 Like

so, hyperpop?

1 Like

If you slow Kylie down she sounds exactly like Rick Astley. I’m not even joking.

7 Likes

If you slow it down you get some great vaporwave.

1 Like

Magical girl anime theme song with a somewhat different vibe:

3 Likes

The rickroll in this video is they never play the song

1 Like

That makes sense, because as far as I can tell most of the Vapourwave aesthetic is “what if the 80’s had actually been cool?”

Also, I shudder to think what y’all have done to my youtube recommendations, in just one short thread.

1 Like

The series was lacking in its pacing, plotting and scripting, but I’ve still got a soft spot for the theme to “RWBY”

1 Like

I apologise in advance for a bit of sidetracking from the main content of the post, but would like to highlight that the image used at the start of the original post is an edited version of the this art (https:/ /project-imas.wiki/File:Yui_SS_SSR2.png), which is art from a mobile game, ‘THE iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage’.

I’m not so sure how copyright works in this case (or if it is relavant), but I do have reason to suspect that this ‘Shista chakma’ on shutterstock is just taking images created by others, making small edits to it like adjusting saturation or flipping the image around, then passing it off as his own work. Further evidence to this can be seen by looking at his page on shutterstock, found here (https:/ /www.shutterstock.com/g/Shista+chakma)
I feel there’s too much inconsistency in the art style for it to have been created by one individual.

I don’t know how much, if at all, the person profits from this, but I do feel that it’s sad for the artists who have had their art stolen and put up like this without their permission.

Also I do apologise for this small wall of text, and in no way intend to fault the author of this post, for there would be no way for one to know about this, and I likely would not have noticed either, if not for me being a fan of the series (or to use the term we fans use, and what others sometimes refer to fans of THE iDOLM@STER as, a producer).

Also, I apologise in advance if I accidentally broke any rules doing this, but the site was preventing me from posting this reply saying I couldn’t use links in the post, so…I may have split the link up to allow me to post this reply, so once again, I do apologise if I have accidentally broken any rules.

1 Like