If you think you've anonymized a data set, you're probably wrong

[Permalink]

1 Like

Itā€™s too bad the Cash Cab is no longer running. This could potentially be used as a way to track it and find the best times and places to catch it.

3 Likes

" income of ever hack"
ā€œfigured out which who goesā€

Cripes, typos galore methinks :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve heard cabs referred to as ā€œhacksā€, but usually only in the UK. I think itā€™s a bit of colorful slang.

Hacks wouldnā€™t be in the dataset as a hack is someone who drives an unauthorized taxi.

Definition of HACK: (1) : taxicab
Definition Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

See also:

2 Likes

See also: Illegal taxi operation - Wikipedia : A variety of terms are used in the industry to describe legal and illegal transportation providers. Hacks or Hackers is a common term that originated with the hackney horse,[3] a breed of horse typically offered for hire in the 19th century.

I thought he was tracking the bottom feeding celebrity chasing ā€˜journalistsā€™.

And drives it poorly, after being paid to perform unorthodox modifications upon it, writing about it for the press, and doing so for political gain.

::cough cough::

1 Like

Indeed, but surely it would be ā€˜every hackā€™ not ā€˜ever hackā€™

1 Like

I think the typo is ā€œeverā€, not ā€œhack.ā€

1 Like

I wonder if the not tipping celebrities in the postā€™s excerpt are instances of cabbies not reporting their tips. Ever wonder why the credit card machine is always broken?

1 Like

Over Hill, Over Dale, Our Love Will Ever Fail

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but Iā€™m pretty sure the dataset doesnā€™t record tips if the passenger paid the fare in cash. So itā€™s quite possible Mr. Cooper and Ms. Alba are good tippers, but just didnā€™t pay with credit cards.

2 Likes

Itā€™s better to pay tips in cash. Electronic processing often has mechanisms to take out various cuts and does not let the tip recipient to keep it all.

3 Likes

EverHack is the phone app you use to take notes about your cab ride and share them with your friends and colleagues.

1 Like

Yes, the NYC taxi credit card machines reportedly take 5% of everything. Initially hacks were very resistant to letting customers use them because they didnā€™t want to give up those fees, but after a while they stopped complaining because they realized that the ā€œ20%ā€ button on the credit card machine got them much better tips on average than people rounding up a dollar or two from the cash fareā€“even after giving up 5% of the gross amount.

One other interesting note about NYC taxi credit card machines is that different vendorsā€™ machines calculate the tips on different bases. The Verifone machines, for example, donā€™t include the $.50 NYS surcharge when calculating a percentage tip, while the Creative Mobile machines do, so if you routinely hit the 20% button, a Creative Mobile taxi will always be $.10 more expensive than a Verifone taxi.

1 Like

Ah, didnā€™t know that one. :smile:

In this case though, it was a typo, i noticed the original article has corrected them now.

this.

so much this.

in the service industry, we have a few slogans about this:

ā€œCash is kingā€
and
ā€œca-SSHHHHhhhhhā€
:point_left:
;^)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.