Ikea to teenagers: stop hiding in closets until closing and then having illegal "sleepovers" in our stores

And they’ll sit around flipping water bottles.

2 Likes

In older and less commercial days, kids had their illegal “sleepovers” in palaces of culture:

6 Likes

Except this one is pretty easy to prevent. IKEA stores are big and not that numerous. A single minimum wage employee can shut down all the teenage IKEA sleepovers in a whole region.

1 Like

It’d be tricky to cover the area with motion sensors due to the way that they wrap the shopping path around and around, and force you to look at everything if you don’t know the short-cuts.

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/120423

1 Like

Why Does the Rune app show up on BoingBoing when I click thru on articles? It.s very annoying.

1 Like

It’s an app to put runes inside text. So why is it on BoingBoing? Or is
it just my computer?

2 Likes

Maybe a digimancer is trying to cast a hex on you

2 Likes

Maybe @jlw misses Led Zeppelin?

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

8 Likes

This reminds me of toddlers who cry when somebody else plays with their toy - even (especially?) when they weren’t using it.

2 Likes

Obligatory skit from Killing My Lobster:

Our local museums now have official sleepover nights - fifty bucks and you can spend the night at the museum. Ikea could try that.

7 Likes

Millions of teenagers to Ikea: “We didn’t know that was a thing. Sounds like fun.”

15 Likes

Yeah, but you have to put them together yourself.

14 Likes

Pretty much. It’s like a Barbara Streissand effect, tell people not to try staying overnight at their stores and they’ll take it as a challenge.

3 Likes

This beats the hell out of my teenage strategy of parking behind the loading docks of warehouses during off-hours. The kids are alright.

6 Likes

Are there special hobo signs for Ikea?

4 Likes

In all probability the meeting went: “We better release a strong statement condemning this, so when they do it anyway and someone gets paralyzed by our shitty top-heavy furniture, their parents will have a harder time suing us.”

10 Likes

we all do. we all do.

I didn’t know about From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler but–presumably from it–this has been a TV-and-hollywood trope for a long-ass time. I’ve seen the tail-end of a Dawson’s Creek where this happened at Target I think, and there was even an episode of Arthur where they get locked in the library, but I don’t think i remember the first one I saw, it’s so shopworn as to be unremarkable to me.

Viewed this way, these youtube videos are simultaneously behind the trend (sort of unusual for teen-driven fare) and also a reflection of culture that used to be either fictional or undocumented, or both, becoming a thing because the internet and miniaturization of cameras has finally made it possible to actually do it.

EDIT not sure why I wrote “or both” there. that makes no sense :rolling_eyes:

5 Likes

Hey, IKEA has cats, what more do you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aUhzddiVOQ

4 Likes