I'm a victim, too!

Heh.

I recommend it!

1 Like

I think it’d be nice to have a video of someone who is educated on identity and how we construct it, and talking about how people in certain groups are at a disadvantage because of perceptions from the majority or the dominant group (women aren’t a minority, just not in power).

4 Likes

This is the book. It is okay, not amazing - seems like the kind of book that came out of course on how to write your memoir, but she had a really interesting life so that overcame the fact that her writing was not super great - not horrible, but not fabulous. She was quite a good speaker and her presentation brought up some interesting sharing from the audience.

2 Likes

Sort of off topic, but I really want to see this documentary.
Families are fun!

3 Likes

More news from the victim olympics.

EDIT: I posted this earlier today when I just had a chance to slap it in. Someone shared the video referenced on Facebook. It gets at this whole thing around who can be a victim and people competing against each other for victimhood. In this case, black women have a longstanding issue around their hair not being accepted as it is and ironing and processing it. So Victoria’s Secret featured only African American ladies with “natural” hair (I’m sure product was involved somehow, though, thus the quotes). So then people are like, “What about the Asian ladies’ hair?” And now there is a huge conversation about whether the Asian lady hair thing is as victimizing as the Black lady hair thing.

Why not both?

I think they both have legit things to say and it’s great there is a conversation, but there is something off about how these conversations are happening.

http://theusabulletin.com/2016/12/08/people-are-not-happy-this-video-suggested-asian-people-have-natural-hair/

Here’s one on why race and racial identities are fictions (tho with real effects). Not quite what you’re looking for I guess, but related…

5 Likes

Most extremists are scared. That’s why they’re extreme. This is even more true of those who are extremely conservative.

Scared people have trouble seeing the “other” as real, much less understanding, or empathizing with, them.

If you really want to get inside the heads of people who are saying these things, I strongly recommend Karen Armstrong’s book “The Battle for God.” She’s very well known for writing on the history of religion, and for her analytical approach to why one set of beliefs catch on and another does not. This particular book looks at the history of fundamentalism and radical fundamentalism in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

It’s extremely illuminating, when you look at the dozen or so surges of fundamentalism across 600 years, give or take. The similarities and differences, in context, give you a whole other way to look at people who are saying such ridiculous things.

It also makes it easier to understand why so many people are able to believe fake news that is so very obviously fake – to most of us.

7 Likes

Like some kind of…Victim Vic-trolley-a?

On other news, when did being a victim become a desirable condition? Who looks at someone who’s been paralyzed by a drunk driver and feels envy?

7 Likes

When you are the majority and in power, it gives justification to specific tactics towards continued oppression of the minority.

6 Likes

That’s been a thing forever. From the attention-seeking kid who gets their sibling in trouble so that the parents comfort them at the small, petty end, to the very concept of martyrdom as its ultimate culmination. People like having attention paid to them, and victimhood is an effective way of getting it.

8 Likes

Never, in my world.

Personally, I utterly hate feeling victimized, and even though misfortune and hardship happens far too often in my life for my tastes, I never see myself as a victim.

I’m still here, even through all the needless bullshit; that makes me a survivor.

(Think Gloria Gaynor, not Destiny’s Child.)

22 Likes

Nice video.

2 Likes

Blink.

(quick realignment of gender perception)

I’d always seen you as female; fooled by the icon, I guess.

14 Likes

@Rickorussell2 You’ve been asleep, my little paragon of virtue. Lands like DC and Moscow are where the cool kids are doing the immoral acts these days. Use lots of lube.

4 Likes

Alas, this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon. Probably stems from the fact that at least from their point of view something has Changed. (In fact it usually has - it’s called progress.) And since everything was of course perfect when they were a child, this is bad, and obviously when other people do not agree with this they are picking on them. All of which demonstrates how important it is to pick your postulates carefully before going out on a logical limb. And unfortunately just one of the many problems you run into when a minority achieves sufficient success or at least visibility…Vital to keep going at that point, or it’s real easy to get squashed back down. :frowning:

5 Likes

Considering how much coal St. Nicholas produced, it had to go somewhere. Maybe Zwarte Piet was a plant operative, hence the sooty face.

What really sucks is how he gives all the best gifts to rich white kids.

Here are some alternatives:

11 Likes

We’re all victims of fascist rulers of Corporations; all of which who attempted to expand their powers throughout the worlds.

4 Likes

It’s gonna get worse too.

9 Likes

I grew up on Japanese and Thai food. One of the things that has happened several time is that I order something at a place that serves those cuisines, and the waitperson politely tries to steer me towards something else. Sometimes the manager will even come out to tell me that White people don’t like that dish. It isn’t offensive or anything, my wife just thinks it is funny. It usually leads to a nice conversation with the restaurant staff, when we discover that we have many places and experiences in common.

1 Like

It isn’t offensive or anything, my wife just thinks it is funny.

Yep. So let’s see, that’s White Privilege Example number, hmm, 97? 98? It’s a tough number to keep track of!

8 Likes