I'm a victim, too!

Man, I wish that had happened.

Proclaiming Nov. 14 a new national holiday as “Day One of Americlintonian Year Zero,” Clinton issued a directive of total martial law over “all territories formerly known as these United States, from now on to be called the Holy United Imperial Americlintonian Demopublic (HUIAD).” He added that all election results are “hereby invalidated under Demopublican provisional law.”

4 Likes

Notice that I did not even bother to respond.

11 Likes

[quote=“ChickieD, post:60, topic:90681”]
I think that in order to fit in, or move ahead of some of the other people around them, a lot of people in minority groups have learned to shame others in their group.[/quote]
Oh of course. You have plenty of “edgy” women who are one of the “bros” and “don’t get along with women”. “I’m not like other girls” as a rallying cry.

“Read up on Monica Lewinsky’s treatment by lots of feminists. Guess she wasn’t the right kind of woman to embrace her sexiness.”

I do wonder if this refers more to the Camille Paglia brand of shitty concern troll “feminist” that says things to get quoted as “even the elitist lesbian academic feminist Paglia agrees that liberals are ‘too uptight’ and political correctness hurts women’s rights!”

I don’t recall any feminists of note or respect trashing her. I remember plenty of persons angry at Paula Jones, but I wonder about the notability of “the feminist backlash”.

Do you recall whether they were “personalities” or whether they had any actual respect and influence?

3 Likes

I think that that’s the first vaguely liberal/leftist position he’s yet taken on this board that he didn’t immediately undercut by shilling for the right wing. However, I didn’t dare click on the YouTube link, so I have incomplete information.

8 Likes

I broke my own rule.

10 Likes

It happens, sometimes.

5 Likes

Or just as bad: uppity! or shrill!

I think that anger and politeness don’t have much of a direct correlation with each other. The important thing is to be articulate. That’s why I find the speeches of Malcolm X so inspiring. He could manage being both angry and polite because he was so articulate. People shouldn’t need to not feel in order to explain their experiences or express how wrong something is. Maintaining one’s composure in that process can be a challenge, but it’s worthwhile when you know that they understand not only that you feel this way, but why you do.

6 Likes

I am not trying to make that point. It just seems to me a symptom of a breakdown of civility.

Not that, anything but that. Good god, the humanity of it all.

19 Likes

The times of trib-ulation are truly upon us! XD

1 Like

To the good ol’ days, when a broad could take a hit!

(Notice he was civil enough to hold that punch?)

7 Likes

Which means they’ve never talked about it with their friends. I’ve discussed that subject countless times, with my children (who seem to be straight, FWIW), straight people I know, and certainly with gay and lesbian people I know. If you are “friends” with a lesbian couple and have never discussed gay issues…how equal do you think they are to you, really?

11 Likes

You just used the word “articulate” to praise a black man.

15 Likes

Someone wearing a provocative political t-shirt in a public space gets it mentioned to them by passive-aggressive neighbors is a breakdown in civility?

Sure thing, sure thing.

15 Likes

People here really ought to watch that, to see what some of these forums look like from the outside.

1 Like

Neither the evaluation nor the praise were made “lightly”. I also praise him as having been compassionate, persevering, insightful, and erudite.

6 Likes

Sure, please don’t blame the victims. Look! They’re so civil they still wave to the neighbors!

13 Likes

I did watch it, and have been directed to numerous others. Everybody can pull extreme examples, please see my post above.

13 Likes

The idea that somehow a same-sex couple’s marriage threatens a male-female marriage. “I’m the victim here - my marriage is under attack!” I never understood that one bit.

21 Likes

To me it more looks like this:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nutpicking

12 Likes