I'm so old that

So you’ve cracked eggs into the radiator too, eh?

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard of that one up until the Mythbusters tried it, but it makes sense to me that it would work in a pinch.

2 Likes

I’m so old that when I looked at the thumbnail the entirety of the song played in my head, complete with that weird two-handed symmetric conducting thing he used to do. (Though when I clicked it was much slower than the song in my head.)

7 Likes

I’m so old that: On Saturday mornings, after I watched Bugs Bunny, Daddy would set up the old, cracked mirror a few feet away from the tv screen. He would begin tinkering with the tv tubes. After a while, we usually went down to Thrifty Drug and tested them on a machine, and he would select new tubes. Then back home to watch baseball, eat pretzels, and drink a short stem Budweiser. (not me, Dad)

10 Likes

i’m so old that i remember going to school in segregated schools. from rural texas i am. i also remember the year before we desegregated going to an assembly at the end of the year where the principal got in front of a group of 60-70 black students from grades 1-4 and introducing them to us and telling us they would be our classmates next year.

20 Likes

Has anyone taken you to story corp, yet, cause you’re always a wealth of important stories from our recent past…

9 Likes

no one has done so.

4 Likes

I’m (now apparently) so old that when I showed an animated gif of the Starfield screensaver to make a joke, my coworker was too young to get the reference. Maybe my dad jokes are just that bad?

5 Likes

If they have a story corps booth near you, you and your wife should go interview each other… It would be awesome to have your life experiences archived for the future…

10 Likes

the mobile booth will be in my area later this fall. i might look into that.

8 Likes

I really hope you do. I think you have a lifetime of wisdom to share and I’m sure the same for your wife.

12 Likes

This is really cool! Thank you for mentioning it! It’s not going to be in my area this year, but I’ll keep an eye on it next year.

7 Likes

You should! Everyone should try and record there at some point in their life. Maybe bring an older relative to interview, or a younger one to interview you?

5 Likes

But what if you don’t want your loved ones to know what your life was like before they knew you? Do you have to arrange for your own stranger to do it instead?

6 Likes

Well, it doesn’t have to be a family member… could be a friend or some such?

4 Likes

Still a nope, unfortunately. But thanks for answering.

4 Likes

Maybe it doesn’t have to be about the time before the person knew you? Maybe it can be about something during the time you’ve known each other?

4 Likes

But that would be relatively recent and uninteresting!

I’m quite boring in my current life. Not worth telling a story about.

4 Likes

It’s not about being “exciting”, though, it’s about understanding how people go about the business of daily life, and how they view themselves and their lives within their current historical context.

7 Likes

But in my case, any answer I give would either have to go back to times I don’t want my loved ones to know about in any specific detail, or else be a couple of short sentences saying nothing of value.

I can’t be the only person this is true for. How can people tell their stories so that they are preserved, but without revealing specifics?

4 Likes