I'm so old that

You forget how quickly the floorboards would rust through in little holes!

4 Likes

No, that was how we ditched beer cans in college!

4 Likes

My father just laid in floorboards. They weren’t joined together, though, so they did a rather incomplete job of protecting you when you drove through standing water.

4 Likes

My dad and I pop-riveted some sheet aluminum into the floor of one car I had, with silicone sealant to keep the inside dry. The rest of the body wasn’t quite as bad as the floorboards, but bad enough.

When my oh-so-rich college roommate got his fancy car taken away after one too many fender-benders and was “forced” to drive a Cadillac Cimarron with a lousy stereo, I offered to trade (since I had a nice stereo in mine), but he wasn’t interested for some reason.

5 Likes

VW Beetle, right?

3 Likes

i’m so old that i clearly remember when a president caught up in a web of lies, felonies, and cover-ups resigned in disgrace rather than pull down the republic to save himself.

to put that another way, i’m old enough to find it remarkable that i might consider nixon’s resignation as a principled choice rather than a choice of “get while the gettin’s good.”

14 Likes

I’m so old that I remember when Alien hit the cinemas.

9 Likes

1970s-era Toyota Corolla. A roach coach that ran like a Swiss watch.

5 Likes

Hah: my family’s first two cars: '50s VW Bug, '76 Toyota Corolla station wagon.

3 Likes

AAARGH. I love that movie and saw it in the theater when it came out so yes I am old.
But IT IS NOT A FUCKING SCI-FI MOVIE. It is a horror movie in sci-fi settings. Seriously, it is an old dark house/creature feature mash up. Just set in a space ship instead of the remote jungle mansion/exploration ship.

Okay enough derail.

9 Likes

The most realistic science fiction is also horror.

5 Likes

I’m so old that as I was watching a recently made film set in the late 1950s-early 60s I found myself getting increasingly annoyed every time they opened a can of beer with a can opener and ONLY PUT ONE HOLE IN IT!

14 Likes

Or the ones where nobody cuts their thumb on the pull-tab…

8 Likes

Or understanding the lyric “stepped on a pop top/ cut my heel had to cruise on back home”
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jimmybuffett/margaritaville.html

10 Likes

I’m so old that I thought this was the previous I’m So Old game

12 Likes

57 myself. Our (obviously black and white) TV in 60s communist era Czechoslovakia, had 3 channels
(one was in German from DDR) and the other two, mostly had either weird sports (like indoor bicycle soccer), someone teaching patriotic communist songs etc. so not worth watching. Though in the evenings sometimes we did get the odd tv movie or tv show (sometimes British or American) I remember Randal and Hopkins a kind of detective series where one of them was a ghost? No commercials. Always at 5;30 there was Vecernicek a kids show usually a fairy tale, which might have been animated or stop motion or with regular actors. Mothers loved it because it gave them a chance to prepare dinner and keep kids busy. A white star on the corner of the screen indicated not for children (I do recall standing there a few times with my hand obscuring the star so I could get to watch - it usually didn’t work) We didn’t have a telephone (there were waiting lists, sometimes for years). We didn’t have a fridge either, I wonder how my mum could do it.

I do recall being woken up to watch the moon landing. Later in Canada I also watched the Nixon watergate hearings. Though I did watch a lot of tv as a kid, usually afterschool I got on my bike and hung out with school friends. We had a rotary phone until the 80s (still have one kicking around, though strictly speaking for a long time they were property of the telephone company).

Regarding cassette players my dad got a midsize hitachi cassette player in the late 60s.
THen in Canada we got a stereo system with radio, turntable and an 8 track player.
(we had a few records, and when I did get into rock I think my collection got to maybe 20 albums - now I have a 64gb chip with maybe a 1000 or more cd’s on my phone)

My wife who was born in the 70s (I remember it was weird the first time I met an adult who was born in the 70s) said whenever her family rented videocassette tapes they rented a player with it. As I recall vcrs didn’t really appear until the late 70s and they were quite expensive.

My dad borrowed a 16mm film camera and made a short film of us in the mid 60s.
Later in Canada we bought a film camera (mid 70s) and of course there was no sound, but it was in colour and you had about 8-10mins per film. When you finished recording the film was in a cartridge which you sent away to be developed and a few weeks later the film would come. Which you would watch with a projector. That reminds me of the film days at school when teachers would show us a film on a film projector and then had to rewind it at the end. (Something you had to do with vcr tapes as well when returning them to the rental place).

The first computer we got to use was a TRS 80 that one of our math teachers brought to school. The programs were on cassettes and you loaded them onto the computer which was mainly a thick keyboard hooked up to a small tv. The programs were all text based like Moon Lander (where you had to enter how much fuel to use and your speed was given and you only had so much fuel to slow you down as well - it wasn’t easy. Another game was Sargon or something, a text turn based game where you spend the income (grain) on feeding peasants, soldiers, or defenses.

About a year later the school did offer a computer science course, where we either entered a short program on punched cards (or used pencil marked cards) they were read and sent by the machine to the local university which ran the program and we got a printout. This was 78-79.

Also first year in uni early 80s we used punch card programs. I recall saving my program onto punched cards (a word processor) thinking it might be handy one day.

I then recall playing with an Apple II which a friend had and when the first PC came out there was no hard disk only drives for floppy disks and 512k. I recall telling one friend in computer science that when I do get a computer it will need at least a meg of ram. He said, what would you ever be doing that you would need so much memory. When I graduated UNI in 85 the mainframe at the school was just being upgraded to 32 mb. (Generally we worked on dumb terminals that connected to a mainframe. One of my friends who worked at a community college recently told me they were moving away from PCs and onto terminals again.)

15 Likes

My uncle had one. I used it one summer to make a bunch of stop motion movies with my GI Joe figures (3.75" – I’m a little younger than you).

While I had a PC with floppy drives, one of my friends had a Texas Instruments computer with both a cartridge slot and an external tape drive.

I think you mean Hammurabi:

I think Sargon was a chess program (I had Chess Master 2000).

6 Likes

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). There was a reboot around 20 years ago. I’ve tried without success to find copies of the old show but I think it was probably recorded over.

7 Likes

I’m so old that I just posted a link to a Mitch Miller song, and knew exactly which album the song I wanted was on.

6 Likes

Or better yet, crank up the heat to help cool the engine.

9 Likes