Improvements to Discourse flat comment design

Note that one such improvement just got deployed. The “in reply to” indicator will now show the full chain of replies in a flat manner, rather than just the immediate parent.

But that’s not how it’s being used, is it? Perhaps it might be worth your while adapting to how the userbase is doing things, rather than trying to re-educate the masses?

As I have said earlier (and there’s even a meta topic for this – try browsing the meta category) I am open to adding a per-user setting that does not navigate you to the bottom of the topic after replying. But yeah, if you’re saying to me “Doctor, it hurts when I do this” then maybe… y’know… :wink:

If multiple people keep assuming something is broken or annoying, rather than an intended feature, then maybe the UI isn’t guiding them to the “correct” action strongly enough. It might be the same reason you keep having to remind people that Stack Exchange isn’t a conversation system.

You may also be interested in: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/04/training-your-users.html – but as I said, totally not opposed to a user pref for this particular case of “don’t scroll down to bottom after posting”. See other existing meta topic on this issue. Or… y’know… don’t.

This topic was automatically closed after 1326 days. New replies are no longer allowed.