In 1997, 685 children in Japan suffered seizures from watching a Pokémon episode

Originally published at: In 1997, 685 children in Japan suffered seizures from watching a Pokémon episode | Boing Boing

2 Likes
12 Likes

I remember buying this on eBay on VHS out of morbid curiosity. Thankfully, it had no discernable me.

3 Likes

sure, you got your porygon, but, what about your polybius?

2 Likes

I think this is actually the first time I ever heard of Pokemon. Didn’t affect its popularity, obviously.

1 Like

Came here for the Simpson’s parody.

Left happy!

3 Likes

It was the first time Pokemon was mentioned in mainstream US media, as the property had not yet debuted in the US.

I still remember the middle-aged newscaster of my local news reporting the story, and assuring the viewers that there were presently no plans to bring the dangerous foreign cartoon to American shores.

3 Likes

Compared to the rest of Pokemon and anime in general that scene doesn’t seem particularly disturbing, it obviously clicked something very specific in the brain.

1 Like

I guess this is the South Park counterpart:

1 Like

I get that, but given the amount of flashing lights, bold, regular patterns, and regular moving patterns in the cartoons in general, it’s interesting that this one in particular did it, or rather, that they didn’t have a seizure issue every week.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.