In a bid to avoid climate vote, Oregon Republican Senators cross state lines, go into hiding, threaten to murder cops, as white nationalist paramilitaries pledge armed support

If it were anyone but rich White men who’d made such threats, that likely would have happened immediately.

33 Likes

On the plus side fewer people are identifying The South as the sole home of racism.

10 Likes

So this is how civil war starts I guess. I understand the repugs going into hiding. It an old long-used stunt but hiding behind nazis is beyond disgusting. It really shows what republicans are all about. They want power at any cost and will whore themselves out to any kind of useful swine. The scariest thing of all though is the backing they get from their base. Perhaps it really is a democracy, perhaps the majority of people really do want to live their life under a dictator. I wonder how well this would have played in the late 40’s and 50’s with so many people remembering WW2. They wouldn’t have lasted long.

17 Likes

The GOP has become the party of denial. Deny that climate change exists. Deny that the law applies to them. Deny democracy. Deny that the people who voted them in can vote them out.

15 Likes

can’t fire elected officials. You can only impeach & remove. and that’s what makes this extra-complex.

2 Likes

this tactic has been used by Democratic lawmakers protesting less sensible bills.

1 Like

Well, hunh. I guess these colors do run after all.

11 Likes

Except Democrats have done the same.

Not the exact same. When the democrats did it, they didn’t employ the assistance of a fascist paramilitary and threaten to kill any cops that came after them to enforce their governor’s right to recall.

45 Likes

The problem with the both sides argument is that the Democrats were opposing an unconstitutional gerrymandering bill. The Oregon bill isn’t unconstitutional.

36 Likes

$500 per day?

I’m still very fond of the judge who assessed a noncompliant city with a fine of (IIRC) $1 the first day, $2 the second day, $4 the third day etc. At first the city councillors laughed until someone pointed out how much a month was going to add up to be.

30 Likes

But you can send the cops after them and, considering he overtly threatened to murder any police he saw, treat him with at least the kind of heavy hand that gets used for low-level drug offenders. I mean, he’s literally asking for it.

18 Likes

It’s a thing that happens when a state constitution makes the quorum requirement larger than the cloture requirement, so a minority party of a certain specific size can’t filibuster by prolonging debate but it can filibuster like this, by not showing up.

It’s avoidable. Just make quorum a simple majority instead of, like, whatever it is in Oregon. Which I notice is never specifically described in any of these news articles, despite being key information to understand the story.

EDIT: From Friday’s KPFA Evening News, “Democrats have an 18 to 12 majority in the chamber, but they need 20 members present for a quorum in order to take any actions.” So the quorum requirement is ⅔ of the Senate, and this week’s events illustrate why that is too much.

25 Likes

Sounds like a terrorist group to me.

12 Likes

So this is what our democracy has devolved too?
Might be time to think about a great American reboot. Those " representatives" should be removed from office permently.

4 Likes

I am currently reading what is ideally a fiction book - the seccesionist rebel states start another American Civil war in 2074 due to a refusal to give up fossil fuels.

5 Likes

That seems kinda new, too. One of the NRA’s strengths has been their single-minded devotion^ to a single cause: firearms control. Branching out to opine on other political hot buttons like climate change isn’t really on fleek for them. What’s next - the NRA’s eagerly anticipated and rigorously well thought out policy position on abortion?

^ feel free to transliterate that to simple-minded

19 Likes

The NRA has been a full pro-racism, pro-homophobia, pro-Republicanism, pro-Russia, anti-anything-liberals-want since at least 2016, if not well before, and getting worse all the time. You can peruse the NRA and NRA-TV twitter accounts for evidence…

19 Likes

Which is something I don’t understand. I could see if someone was pro choice, pro life, against asset forfeitures, the death penalty, something solid and with teeth. Freezing the state legislature and preventing passage of bunches of laws because of some cap and trade legislation is just goofy.

1 Like

Easy: it acknowledges climate change as being real and being a bad thing.

10 Likes