In defense of the hard C

That’s actually a literary tool, used to indicate when a person is speaking with a heavy dialect. It’s so common that using phonetic spelling automatically triggers either regional pride or pigeonholing as a bumpkin. Consider:

• “I can tell you’re in for a heap of trouble!”
  • “Ah kin tell yer in fer a heap o’ trouble!”

Which one the author uses depends on how much he wants to draw the accent into focus.

And though there has been some drift in spelling driven by reformers like Noah Webster in the USA, “cleaning up spelling” is often slow to catch on. For example, nite never replaced night except for when cutesy styling was wanted.

1 Like
6 Likes

Ah wush ah kid duh tha, buh ahv been praktisin Inglish Inglish spehllin sins ah wiz wee. Nino mah teechurs lykt whi’ ih kaim up wi Masel.

1 Like

Given the hot mess of random sounds my 10 year old passes off as “words” the future looks “skibdi”.

given that I don’t know or care what it means, about as far as I can go is using sus in my vernacular

1 Like

Americans have had at least some successes.

1 Like

But let us keep the U in glamour!

2 Likes

Yet there’s numerous functioning and widespread languages that have much more regular orthography. Prescribing historical links isn’t worth the literacy barriers it induces. Besides, learning history requires reading… much better than observing “nice” links between words to infer historical connections.

Now spell “kolor”

1 Like

You mean, spell “bolour” with a “k”?

1 Like

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

1 Like

Valorous attempt!

the lord of the rings sam GIF

1 Like

Wasn’t there a dictionary in which the words were deduced from their originals, and illustrated in their different significations by examples from the best writers? Or are you referring to that?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.