Roanoke Times reader burned up by pronunciation of "Cockburn"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/02/roanoake-times-reader-burned-u.html

5 Likes

Pronunciation is inconsistent. Why is that? Must be the liberals.

I know this comment won’t be posted because this website is too cool and never wants to print the truth.

/s

39 Likes

The Marquess of Cholmondeley disagrees

24 Likes

It’s a slightly unfortunate name, but think of the easy name recognition! Ideal for a politician, no? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

6 Likes

Yeah, this stuff really burns my… uh, britches.

1 Like

Bless his heart.

9 Likes

I think I have the best political name.

3 Likes

From the replies there:

“You may believe they don’t print the truth but they do do print letters that reveal the ignorance of some.” -Frank Kallio

Right on Frank.

24 Likes

Our area of VA is well known for bizarre pronunciations. Staunton is Stan-ton, Monte Video is Mont Vid-ee-oh, Mcgaheysville somehow gets an extra “ck” to be Mcgack-ees-ville. Why? No one seems to know. I seriously doubt her name is pronounced as it is out of shame, but because “It’s just how things is done in these here parts.”

7 Likes

Or because it is how it was always done

32 Likes

And for the record - its “Fa-Gee-Ta”, not “fa-he-ta” Our months are not “Hune” or Huly" and my wife’s name is not “Huedy” its “Jewdy”… :sunglasses:

ok, ok, I’ll see myself out…

3 Likes

That’s how I knew this guy was a liberal.

15 Likes

And yet I feel certain this wingnut has no problem with the way Bret Favre pronounces his last name.

10 Likes

Think of how many words there are in the English language with silent letters, or letters that are pronounced very differently than they commonly are. Then consider that a person’s family name is his/her heritage, and you usually pronounce it like your grandparents did, and there are lots of “oddly” spelled and pronounced names.

So, this guy calls himself a “conservative”?

10 Likes

Learned long ago that all pronunciation rules are off when it comes to names. Especially those from old Britain. Some examples:

Worcestershire = Wustesher
Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw
Cholmondeley = Chumly

The list goes on.

13 Likes

Balderdash!

14 Likes

Conservatives sure do get butthurt over a little cockburn.

27 Likes

Second CK?

15 Likes

It’s not only silent, it’s invisible!

37 Likes