Roanoke Times reader burned up by pronunciation of "Cockburn"

Roanoke? Okey-Dokey!

2 Likes

play’n wit pos’ems

KopcialBill

5 Likes

Ok, “In those there parts” :grin:

1 Like

One of the ones local to me when I was growing up was the village of Torpenhow = Trepenna and it’s neighbouring village Blennerhasset = Blenraysit. Also, Burgh = Bruff.

7 Likes

Gammy leg and all.

2 Likes

Scotland is the place where men wear skirts and no knickers, so I don’t think embarrassment is the reason.

16 Likes

That explains the name perfectly, actually.

7 Likes

Congressman Swett: “hold my beer”

19 Likes

Strolling through the prickly heather in a kilt can give you a bad cockburn.

14 Likes

I feel I should know that already. We have a strong Scottish lineage in my family, tracing back to Laird Dufus of Castle Dufus (Google it. It is an actual place!) My wife has endless fun with that little factoid.

8 Likes

Did a Dick Hurzt get in the thread? Asking for a friend…

6 Likes

What if I told you my first name is Lotte?

5 Likes

Yes, spelling standardization occurred very late in English and Scots. And later spelling reforms have been inconsistent, with American English perhaps having the most modern look due to broader and more recent reforms. (19th century being “recent”)

1 Like

6 Likes

Personal favourite is Milngavie (= Mull-guy, roughly), on the edge of Glasgow.

3 Likes

This guy pronounces it “Co-burn”. Good enough for me

6 Likes

The p is silent as in swimming.

8 Likes

I bet that if she had changed her name, the letter’s author would be railing against her lack of family values because she wasn’t honoring her ancestors by keeping their name. Also, if she had changed her name, she would probably be hiding something, something sinister.

4 Likes

Poster sitting done on Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day. Arrrrrr!

Duffus Castle. Don’t ask me how Scots pronounce it; there are a lot of place names where the middle syllables are entirely elided.

1 Like