Roanoke Times reader burned up by pronunciation of "Cockburn"

And the Featherstonehaughs agree.

(ETA Beaten to it by @smoobly)

1 Like

Heather isn’t as bad as thistles and gorse.

4 Likes

Certainly the ones I met at Magdalene College did.

4 Likes

Dude, have you even met Heather?

11 Likes

GLENWHILLY (n. Scots)
A small tartan pouch worn beneath the kilt during the thistle-harvest.

– Douglas Adams, John Lloyd / The Meaning of Liff

11 Likes

Ah, not the Featherstonehaughs of Wymondham, then.

(Wind’m)

2 Likes

Rooster Roast?

No, the Worcestershire Featherstonehaughs. (Actually my cousin Siobhan married Ranulph Featherstonehaugh).

3 Likes

Like Jeff Fartenberry!

1 Like

In Mass. we also of course pronounce Worcester as wusstah, so i wanted to look this up. Vowel reduction and haplology at work, plus of course the corrosively wonderful local accent):

1 Like

Can someone give me a serious explanation of the reasoning(?) that led the writer to link the unusual pronunciation of a name with liberalism? Or is this one of those legendary False Flag Operations, designed by liberals to make conservatives look stupid?

5 Likes

How odd. I was sure I heard that Siobhan married St.John Anstruther-Wemyss. Must have been your other cousin, Saoirse, perhaps. Toodle-pip.

5 Likes

Sometimes silent, other times…

2 Likes

“Hey Lee, did he just call me Cock-burn?”

7 Likes
...please don't tell me that the CK is silent.
Which (somehow) leads me to wonder if the "CK" in "Louis CK" is silent.
1 Like

but it turns out the answer is simple: it was first bottled in Worcester county in west central England.

It is NOT Worcester county, it is Worcestershire. Nobody in the UK would ever say (or write): ‘it was first bottled in Worcester county’
(And certainly not Hamp county!!! Although note that not all counties end in ‘-shire’. Essex, or Cornwall, for example.)

We would say ‘the county of Worcestershire’, or just Worcestershire. We just do not do that US thing of saying “(Name) County”. By definition X-shire IS a county - it is superfluous to say ‘county’.

There is usage in Britain where county does indeedd follow the geographical name, such as football clubs, for example Derby County Football Club, or Notts County Football Club, where the emphasis is: 'it is the (Name) County Football Club. We also refer to the (Name) County team, (Name) County Council. I.e. in both council and FC or team or similar usages, ‘county’ is adjectival not an abstract noun.
(And Notts is short for Nottinghamshire.)

But no doubt others will be along shortly to point out the many other exceptions that prove (test, not make true) the rule.

Sorry, did someone mention a rabbit-hole?

10 Likes

He is now, thank goodness…

2 Likes

People are fucking weird, yo.

6 Likes

29 Likes

Came here to mention him. A friend of mine used to giggle at this surname, until I pointed out the singer’s preferred pronunciation.

Then he KEPT giggling. “Yeah, well that’s how I’D pronounce it if my name was spelled that way.”

2 Likes