Roanoke Times reader burned up by pronunciation of "Cockburn"

Cockburn is Scottish, not English. Different language. Hitchcock is southern English, an area which did not use the language of Scotland. The difference in pronunciation of “cock” across the two is unremarkable.

3 Likes

That’s right, if you say Stau-ton, you aren’t from Stanton. And don’t forget Be-una Vista and Buck-anon!

1 Like

Fiddlesticks!

2 Likes

It’s not SORE-on, it’s SOW-ron!

3 Likes

Ahem

Kansas / Arkansas

That is all.

19 Likes

Wife once worked with a guy whose last name was “Glasscock.”

6 Likes

just drop the kelvin clines

1 Like

Poppycock!

(Pronounced poppy-co.)

6 Likes

We are laughing but that race (as are so many are this year) is important. I’ve appreciated Leslie Cockburn’s journalism for years and I’d be delighted to see her in the House. The Dems have few, if any, elected politicians as educated about the world as Cockburn. Seeing her on the House Intelligence or Foreign Affairs Committees will change the work of those committees for the better and, if they use it, those committees have a lot of power to ask questions and demand answers.

Cockburn knows her way around Washington and the world and she’s not an off-the-shelf Dem candidate. Her book on Iran-Contra (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0871131692) is one of the best histories of that debacle and her autobiographical account of reporting on wars is more exciting than most spy novels. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385483554) Even her post-second Iraq war novel set in Baghdad is engaging and insightful. Can you think of any Democratic congresspeople who write books you want to read?

Having Cockburn in the House doesn’t solve the Trump-GOP problem but, whew, I know I’d tune into a House Intelligence Committee meeting that include Nunes and Cockburn because, doh, she’d hand Nunes his ass on an engraved platter. Cockburn is fiery and articulate in ways we no longer expect out of politicians. I’ve been giving my lunch money to various House races and Cockburn’s campaign is on the first I donated to. Bill Kopcial is inspirational, tomorrow’s lunch money goes again to Cockburn’s campaign! (https://www.lesliecockburnforcongress.com.)

7 Likes

It’s Old English (Anglo-Saxon). The whole idea of there being a neat line dividing England and Scotland is a relatively modern concept, one that my ancestors and the ancestors of the current day Cockburns didn’t believe in.

8 Likes

Say ‘Samhain’ correctly three times fast.

:wink:

6 Likes

Nice.

2 Likes

Lyrics that still ring true to this day, even if the arrangement didn’t .

1 Like

CK is never silent. He keeps showing up at open-mikes. God-bless that perv.

2 Likes

I stayed in Magdalene College housing next to the Quayside while working on a documentary once upon a time. I quickly learned to say Maudlin College and the Keyside lest I be taken for an oaf a tourist. :wink:

@Spizella, in my part of Mass. it’s Wistah, and then there’s Glawstah, and let’s not leave out the 'ums - Whenum, Deadum, et al.

@anothernewbbaccount, I used to work with a Siobhan, also an Aine, both of which names I had only seen on paper for some time before I was introduced.

/silly yankee

5 Likes

To be fair, the British really do mangle the English language.

The English language is what happens when you try to make several languages into one.

9 Likes

The gentleman will probably also have a problem when he reads of the adventures of Wodehouse’s Psmith. (The P in his surname is silent, “as in pshrimp”, and was added by himself, in order to distinguish him from other Smiths.)

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on Welsh.

3 Likes

During my lifetime, my governments have been blessed with the presence of politicians named both Richard Head and Richard Face.

It makes it too easy for the protestors, really.

4 Likes