In homeless LA, the families, retirees and working people who live in their cars are desperate for overnight parking

Sure but there has to be a happy medium somewhere between ultra-expensive LA and no-jobs middle of nowhere America.

Alaska? Cheap housing, (relatively) abundant, well-paying jobs…$7 canned tomatoes…3 hours of daylight in the winter…

5 Likes

Definitely, for those who have the actual option to relocate, that would be a desirable choice. I have to imagine that pretty much anyone who can has already done so.

And maybe we need some kind of national jobs bureau? So that people who so desire and have the ability to relocate can have some notion of the jobs available in another city / county /state.

But just expecting people to get in their cars and drive across the country on the speculation that they’ll be better off somewhere else is a bit old-school.

I think John Steinbeck wrote a novel about it, in fact.

14 Likes

I’m sure that all the people struggling with various forms of poverty across the country will be gratified to hear that. I’ll let you tell them the good news.

8 Likes

You know what’s empty most nights? Downtown parking garages. I was writing a near-future sci-fi story awhile ago that built on the idea of parking garages becoming the next low-rent option for those who couldn’t afford urban housing, and had to resort to living in their cars/mobile homes. Unfortunately the present caught up with the near-future, and now I’m just writing a present-day dystopian novel.

3 Likes

Enjoy the transition from “Walking On Glass” to “Surface Detail”…

3 Likes

We don’t have people living in stairwells as their full time residence yet though. I think the producers of that film are at least 20 years off. The novel it was based on written in 1966 had this happening in 1999. So at least we dodged that bullet.

I still find it hard to comprehend LA at all though. This one city is bigger than a lot of states in the US.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Help me find cheap overnight parking!

You can still get in trouble with property taxes. I’ve seen it happen.

3 Likes

Soylent Green MAX; you can really taste the residual meth.

2 Likes

Or Alabama, with humidity, misogyny, and racism so thick you can cut them with a knife.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.