In screenshot, Apple's next desktop OS hides web addresses

I tried to copy and paste a web address to send to a friend in an e-mail, but Chrome turned it into strange HTML rather than a straight link. Is that a variant, or just Chrome being flaky?

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly how it works.

FFS, the ‘OMG, Apple (or Google) are breaking the web!’ hysteria is just asinine. Apple is just doing what they always do, putting the focus on what 80% of their users use, but leaving the the fiddly bits accessible for the rest of us that give a damn.

Because modern UI design is predicated on the asinine notion that a 27" 2560x1440 monitor operated by keyboard and mouse is exactly the same as a 4" 1080x1920 phone touchscreen.

Hiding absolutely everything that isn’t essential to the user’s current viewing experience is a great idea on a phone. Unfortunately, for some reason that makes people think it’s a great idea on the desktop, too. Saving 6 pixels of horizontal space by hiding a scrollbar on an iPhone? Great idea. Saving 6 pixels of horizontal space by hiding a scrollbar on OSX? Really, really dumb.

5 Likes

If we’re talking about Apple, that is quite simply entirely wrong. The design patterns for iPhone are distinct from iPad are distinct from Mac. Hidden scrollbars just happen to solve the same basic problem on every platform – they’re elements that distract from content when not in use. It has nothing to do with saving pixels.

But if you really miss having a ui element that’s useless when it’s not actively being used just hanging around, you can always turn them on in system preferences. There’s that 80-20 again.

I liked the comment @thadboyd made, and here’s why:

Safari already has taken care of visual distraction without truncation. The current (soon-to-be-ex) edition of Safari displays URLs by showing the truncated address (site name) in black. The exact site location you’re at continues on in medium grey, but is always visible. Looking up quickly, you’ll first read the site only, and that’s all the information you need, but if you need the full address it’s already there, just not as prominent. They greying is a good choice, because it helps the UI.

The information isn’t a visual distraction, but it is still accessible. You don’t need to take any second action to find out addressing information if you need it, for example, while on another page (a lot of busy people run with multiple windows or screens and may not want to revisit a window just to get a full address).

So the comment made a valid point, most people don’t operate the same way on a desktop or laptop that they do on a phone. The increased screen size makes a difference in usage. The “cleanup” really is a case of style as URLs get longer and many screens get smaller - otherwise current editions of Safari on Mac would show full info in black.

I realize you probably won’t agree with me, and that’s okay, but that is what the current setup looks like, and how it functions.

I haven’t experienced what your mentioning but my guess is they’re routing the link through their own redirect page “to protect from malicious websites” … or basically because they want to know exactly when somone clicks on something.

1 Like

Okay. Checked it. Clicking into the field will show the complete URL. Fine with me. .

2 Likes

How does copying the url require an extra click in this instance when compared to the previous one? Has the author of the source ever used a browser? Also, has Apple also disabled ctrl+L(or command+L here I guess)? because that is a quicker way to copy URLs.

Of course, showing Everything to the subdomain level will not solve the phishing problem. This is going to be a standard practice throughout. Firefox mobile already does this, if anyone is looking towards Mozilla as the saviour.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.